Page 41 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: The Introduction Thread

User Info Menu

Name: David, Age: 62
    Current vehicle: Pathfinder
    Job: retired everything
    Live off grid, travel, build, write, married 40 years, two healthy adult kids, lived on sailboat for 12 years and more...............

User Info Menu

aww yeah, a real character! Welcome aboard! We're real glad to have you here.. what car are you most interested in bringing over. I'm sort of waiting to hear something like TVR or an old Triumph, maybe Maserati, or an old LeMans racing car? What are you looking for?

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you got a little hippy in ya. I was born a little late and only got to wear my hair real long and big flares in junior high. I made it to India and Nepal before getting stuck in, here in Japan. Hey if you're off the grid, what kinda internet connection have you got?

User Info Menu

Hmm, gentlemen, I may have given you the wrong impression. While I did just get back from Chiang Mai and Points Chinese and we did do much of our touring riding a scooter in traffic gone mad, I can assure you that I am an extremely gentle, sophisticated and civilized man. Underneath. On top, well, you may be rght - a little too grizzled about the chops and just plain butt ugly these days, I am not likely to to use all that sophistication in too many fancy restaurants anymore. Not ever, I hope. And my wife keeps telling me my 'now comfortable' clothes are too old just 'cause they're baggy and have holes. So, I may have lost some of my appeal for the general population. It's mutual.
    I connect to the internet/grid by way of satellite. Hughes Corp. Make our own juice by way of wind, solar and diesel. Water from the stream. No stores, services or even roads - just boats, bears and wolves.
    The vehicle should be a diesel Land Cruiser, the longest wheelbase they make. Pre-1995.
    I remember the first time some young person called me 'sir'. It was a shock. Now I have heard 'real character' for the first time. Indeed!

User Info Menu

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    -snip- I can assure you that I am an extremely gentle, sophisticated and civilized man. Underneath. On top, well, you may be rght - a little too grizzled about the chops and just plain butt ugly these days, I am not likely to to use all that sophistication in too many fancy restaurants anymore. Not ever, I hope. And my wife keeps telling me my 'now comfortable' clothes are too old just 'cause they're baggy and have holes. So, I may have lost some of my appeal for the general population. It's mutual.
    I connect to the internet/grid by way of satellite. Hughes Corp. Make our own juice by way of wind, solar and diesel. Water from the stream. No stores, services or even roads - just boats, bears and wolves.
    The vehicle should be a diesel Land Cruiser, the longest wheelbase they make. Pre-1995.
    I remember the first time some young person called me 'sir'. It was a shock. Now I have heard 'real character' for the first time. Indeed!
    I called you a real character, because you certainly sound very interesting (to me at least!) I was way off (and didn't think much about the island living/road issue) about what vehicle I thought you'd be looking for - perhpas I was hoping a bit.. Vicarious living at it's best!

You mention chops, so I was wondering if you are using a perjorative for your actual jawline, or perhaps you're rockin' something like I did a couple years ago.. combed out for full effect!

I'm sure a landcruiser will do you well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    Hmm, gentlemen, I may have given you the wrong impression. While I did just get back from Chiang Mai and Points Chinese and we did do much of our touring riding a scooter in traffic gone mad, I can assure you that I am an extremely gentle, sophisticated and civilized man. Underneath. On top, well, you may be rght - a little too grizzled about the chops and just plain butt ugly these days, I am not likely to to use all that sophistication in too many fancy restaurants anymore. Not ever, I hope. And my wife keeps telling me my 'now comfortable' clothes are too old just 'cause they're baggy and have holes. So, I may have lost some of my appeal for the general population. It's mutual.
    You sir sound like you have some awesome stories...and pictures.

User Info Menu

Well, Soren, it seems the forum accepts ugly guys so I am comfortable here. Thanks for the sacrifice. That quote from ICBC (the bastards!) does that mean an LHD CANNOT be imported?
    I'll send some pics but how does one attach them to this forum?

User Info Menu

If you hit "New reply", under 'Additional Options', there is a 'Manage Attachments' button. Easiest way to attach pictures before your ten posts.

That quote is from me questioning ICBC. I simply asked if RHD cars are soooo 'dangerous' how come I can't import a newer LHD car to Canada from Europe. That was the answer I got.

User Info Menu

Here's one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

User Info Menu

Wow that is so West Coast, I love it.