Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can any Australian's confirm more details about your Import Regulations

User Info Menu

Default Can any Australian's confirm more details about your Import Regulations

I know there are a lot of newer model imports there but from what I understand now, that only select companies can actually import.

Any Australians please confirm anything you have here

User Info Menu

Default 1988 & Raws

Well... I am not Australian but I probably know more about importing to Australia than the average Australian.

There are two types of vehicles you can import to Australia.

1988 and older - Australia use to have a 15yr import rule same as Canada. About three years ago this was changed to, no vehicle newer than Dec 1988 could be imported without restriction.
    So... today... you can import any vehicle Dec 1988 and older with no restriction.

RAWS (Registered Automotive Workshop).
    This was introduced back in 2003, where you can import a vehicle under the RAWS system.
    Only a certain number of vehicles are eligible and each RAWS workshop can only import and plate 100 vehicles per year, per category.
    The idea of this system was to slow the number of vehicle being import and to date there are approximately 400 RAWS workshops.
    The government said it is in place due to safety...... but many will disagree with this.
    A RAWS workshop charge between AU$1,500 - 4,000 for compliance. Basically, the workshop with check the vehicle for accident/repaired, the vehicle meets Australian Design Rules (ADR) where in some cases certain things need replacing like seat belts, fitting of child restraints, etc. The RAWS workshop is responsible for the vehicle for 10yrs and any recalls are their responsibility.
    To become a RAW is not easy and costs a small fortune which the government made it like this to help slow the imports down. One out of five RAWS workshops only last their first year as the pressure, paperwork and fees involved certainly sort the boys out from the men.

If you visit the link below you will be able to see what make and models are allowed to be imported.

http://raws.dotars.gov.au/rawswebpub...WPubSearch.asp

These include vehicles like Supra (JZA80), Skyline (ECR32/33, ER34, CPV35), Delica (1994-new) etc.

Because the Australia is restricted to certain models, the demand is high for vehicles like Supra RZ 6spd's, Skyline ECR33 Coupe 5spd's.

Under the RAWS system, you cannot import a vehicle that is accident/repaired which is why good straight Supra RZ 6spd's fetches such big money here in Japan. The vehicle cannot be modified although every RAWS workshop has standard parts for fitting to comply the vehicle and then removing. It is bending the rules... but..... all workshops do it.

I have been involved with RAWS since the beginning and am in fact a partner in a RAWS workshop in Australia.

If you want any further info...... ask and if I have time I will reply.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

Thanks for that MB.

I was always wondering what the current rule was as I've read conflicting information.

User Info Menu

At least in Australia you can import newer cars but that RAWS system is really bad and is basically just based on the premise of protectionism for Australia's car market.

In a world where "free trade" and "democracy" supposedly exists you'd think that the consumers would get to have their choice

User Info Menu

So if I don't see a certain make/model in the RAWS website, does that mean that I cannot import that vehicle? I noticed that there are absolutely no Honda cars there...only bikes.

Does anyone know anything about the Personal Import Scheme and it's restrictions? Would I still have to go through RAWS? My understanding was that I could bring whatever personal vehicle I own back to Australia after one year of use/ownership.

Also, I hear that they are going to change the law on the PIS from every year to every five years starting December of 2010. So would that mean if I wanted to bring two cars back to Australia under the PIS I would be able to send one this year...and then the other next year when the law kicks in? I'm asking this because I bought the two cars specifically to bring back to Australia, and it would seem like a waste if I couldn't.

User Info Menu

I believe that is the case for RAWS but don't take my word for it. There are some people/Exporters here who are very familiar with the RAWS system.

Sorry I have no idea how the PIS works, but it would be good to discuss and open a new thread about it here, since we know little about the Australian Import process.

User Info Menu

There's a good summary on the options for importing a car to Australia here:

raws com au

From the home page go to Consumer Home then The Different Importing Schemes.

Personal Import Scheme

Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme (RAWS)

Low-Volume New Scheme

Vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1989 (previously the "15 year" scheme)

There's also a motorsport category, where the importer needs to be verified by the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS). With this option the vehicle can be driven on public roads, but only as part of the motorsport (typically rally) event.

Vehicles that do not need to be road registered - such as farm vehicles or track motorsport vehicles - can also be imported without engine and suspension and rebuilt in Aus. The body shell and running gear need to be shipped in separate containers and not arrive on the same ship.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    At least in Australia you can import newer cars but that RAWS system is really bad and is basically just based on the premise of protectionism for Australia's car market.

In a world where "free trade" and "democracy" supposedly exists you'd think that the consumers would get to have their choice
    The last major review (and shutdown of the very popular "15 year" scheme) co-incided with Toyota playing off the governments of Thailand and Australia as to whether their next investment would be in Melbourne or Thailand.

User Info Menu

Very interesting Tsuchiyama, I'm not surprised. Some Toyota dealerships in Canada are openly and vocally opposed to JDMs. I felt insulted the first and last time I visited Toyota just to pickup transmission fluid for the Aristo.

Apparently if we wouldn't buy JDMs "there would be no pollution at all according to my tech". I just laughed and walked out

I really vow never to buy any domestic Toyota and I'll do my best to buy non-OEM parts. This makes me hope that Toyota suffers for its recent quality control issues as punishment for harming the JDM community.

User Info Menu

Vehicles arriving without approval may be seized, or re-exported from Australia at Importers expense. You will need to have to conduct research before importing vehicles since you need to apply and approved for a vehicle import. Where are you in Australia? I recommend ACC customs clearance agents in Brisbane for your quarantine requirements and importing conditions.