Thread: New Zealand

User Info Menu

Default New Zealand

I know you can bring in newer cars, and cars over 20 years old.

Anyone have more definite rules?
    Automotive Fanatic.

Currently:

93 GC8 WRX
    93 R33 GTST (R334 conversion)
    86 FC3S RX7 (Holset "enhanced" 1UZFE powered)
    55 F-100

User Info Menu

NZ is in fact slowly closing the doors on imports.

The new rules can be found via the following link.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/impo...l#certificates

You may of noticed recently that most late model vehicles at auction now seem to have a code in front of the model prefix on the auction sheet. Make sure you buy a vehicle with the correct code as listed on the above link other wise it can never be registered.

But as mentioned…… NZ is closing the doors by making the window of what vehicles can be imported smaller and smaller each year.

There was an article recently about how NZ new vehicles (sold new by main dealers) had increased for the first time in 20yrs in the first half of this year and the tables are now turning, the importers are slowly being strangled and will be pushed out of the market over the next five years.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

Want to help me bring in some 20 year old GTRs? 20 year old cars are still pretty easy....
    Automotive Fanatic.

Currently:

93 GC8 WRX
    93 R33 GTST (R334 conversion)
    86 FC3S RX7 (Holset "enhanced" 1UZFE powered)
    55 F-100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by filthy-rich View Post
    Want to help me bring in some 20 year old GTRs? 20 year old cars are still pretty easy....
    Contact me direct, there is a "legal" way to import and register vehicles that are under 20yrs old.

mark@braveautointernational.jp

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Mark, is it just older vehicles that are being restricted or is it newer vehicles too? I always thought NZ was very import friendly but I guess when local dealers hurt too much and the economy slows, they do what it takes to eliminate the competition.

User Info Menu

The importation regulations are based on Japanese emission standards, but has Mark said, there are other ways to legally register vehicles that are currently older than (roughly) 2003 and newer than 1991.
    This coming December the regulation will change again to limit the vehicles to model year 2005, depending on the emissions standard of the vehicle.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

That's a shame but in some sense makes more sense than the Canadian system. Our government here as many know, uses the excuse of emissions and safety of older vehicles as a reason to keep them out, and for some "mysterious" reason hasn't considered or proposed that the newer, safer and more emission friendly JDMs be allowed in.

User Info Menu

I always thought you guys along with Australia where really lucky in a sense because you guys drive RHD's.