Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soren's 96 JZX-90 Tourer-V Switching to the Toyota Team?

User Info Menu

Cool Soren's 96 JZX-90 Tourer-V Switching to the Toyota Team?

Since my new car is stuck in limbo, awaiting a conclusion to the current dock workers strike, I thought that making a thread about the new one would be a good way to pass the time.

I picked up a 1996 JZX90 Tourer V with just under 40,000 Km on her, earlier this year, after looking for a couple months for a Kei Van. Derek mentioned that he spit out his coffee when I had him check this out. I guess he didn't expect it, and perhaps, neither did I. I've always really liked these. I'm also finding that I still really like Subaru, but would like to experience something different. And then there's the time that Griff hypnotized me and demanded that I come over to the Toyota team!

Actually, no, my main motivation is Dah_Hunter. We're arch-nemesis. He loves Mitsubishi, I love Subaru. He loves Nissan - what do you think my next logical step would be?!

On to the car. It's got some reasonable mods, but nothing crazy. It's auto-tragic Manual is such a rare option on these, that the prices jump significantly, and the hope of getting a low K one is small.
    Estimated 36,000 to 40,000Km, swapped cluster - documentation appears to support the est. Km's
    Diff swapped from the JZX100 (I suspect the Torsten from the manual)
    Apex-i Exhaust
    fiberglass hood
    sideskirts, small lip and rear spats
    Rays Volk Monster rims
    Toyota Rainguards
    Sweet JDM Drifter pedals (according to Derek! ) He states: "I have used these myself and they increase braking and accel times by 30%."
    Hot Indm Kai Cap/grounding kit
    Aftermarket Tien Stickers

Mostly nothing to get too exited about there, aside from the diff. The paint is in really nice shape though from the pics/video I've seen, and what Derek describes. I'm quite pleased about that.

I'm really looking forward to the differences that this car will exhibit, from what I'm used to.
    Heavy, but lighter than the Legacy.
    RWD instead of AWD
    2.5L inline 6 twin turbo instead of the standard Subie powerplants I've been about already.
    Staggering wheels, and tires instead of having them all perfectly the same.
    Baller and sleeper
    Still with respectable performance, but comfy too.

Anyways, on to the pics.

Specs of the 96 JZX90 courtesy of Drom.ru
    Name of configuration 2.5 Tourer V
    Model year August 1995 - August 1996
    Type of drive Rear (FR)
    Body type Sedan
    Transmission ACT 4
    Engine, cc 2491
    Body brand E-JZX90
    Price of new car in Tokyo, the yen 3309000
    Dimensions
    Dimensions of the body (L x W x H) mm 4750 x 1750 x 1390
    Dimensions Salon (L x W x H) mm 1990 x 1475 x 1155
    Wheelbase mm 2730
    Clearance (height clearance), mm 155
    Weight, kg 1460
    Number of seats 5
    Doors 4
    Turning radius, m 5.1
    Fuel tank capacity, l 70
    Engine
    Engine specification 1JZ-GTE
    Maximum power, hp (KW) / rpm. 280 (206) / 6200
    Maximum torque, N * m (kg * m) / rpm. 37 (363) / 4800
    Engine Type 6-cylinder, 24-valve, DOHC, liquid cooled
    Extras. Variable valve timing Boost
    Fuel used Petrol Premium (RON 98)
    Fuel consumption at 10/15, l/100km 2.12
    Fuel consumption at 60 km / h, l/100km 6.0
    Fuel consumption kg / hp. 5.21
    Suspension / Chassis
    Front brakes Ventilated disc
    Rear brakes Ventilated disc
    Front suspension Two lever coil spring (Double wishbone coil spring)
    Rear Suspension Two lever coil spring (Double wishbone coil spring)
    Wheels Front 205 / 55R16 89V rear 225 / 50R1
    Rear spoiler
    Last edited by Soren; 07-19-2011 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

So are you coming to the Island after you get this car then? Also, I never realized just how similar the back seats/rear of the fronts are to the Aristo.

User Info Menu

Depends - do you have some 5x114.3 rims and tires for me? If that was the case, then it'd be a no-brainer! Otherwise, it's a possibility for sure, some factors in play, but possibility for sure.

How are the back seats in the Aristo? I'm curious about this, because I've got 2 kids. My 3 year old will have no problem back here, but the baby in the rear-facing seat may not fit. I'd be curious too for a road trip car, how this will perform.

User Info Menu

you're going to like this if you like aristos/soarers

I had this 2 years ago

User Info Menu

Sleeper? Sleeper? Have you seen those hood scoops? That's as much of a sleeper as Marilyn Monroe was a girl-next-door.

User Info Menu

well, it will be from the back (that's all you'd ever see anyways! )

User Info Menu

Uh oh ahah Your going to have a lot of fun with this car for sure. I thought you would hold out for a x100. But looks good tons of pearl in that paint. Might wanna pick up some wheels before it ships though

User Info Menu

Nice.

You will love the torque while off boost of the 2.5L 6cyl compared to our gutless 2.0l 4cyl subarus. Also digging the wooden hood prop.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised by the weight, I thought the JZX81 was the lightest but it's actually the heaviest.

18's in the near future?

If you come to the island when you pick it up, you should let me know. I would love to see this thing.

Now I'm getting excited for when I get a Toyota.

User Info Menu

That's a sweet looking JZX90 you got Shaun. Nicer then I thought and unreal low km's. Ya if your gonna be making a stop out on the island make sure to let me know too so you can take me for a cruise too haha. I still remember test driving that 92 5spd jzx90 before buying my Subaru. It was a cool car. Yours is way nicer though

So I don't really understand how to read the fuel economy thing you put there, is it saying at 60km/h that car should be getting 6L/100km?
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!