Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences between JDM FD3S Mazda RX-7 RX7 models?

User Info Menu

I agree with CDE, although I love the looks, in and out, and especially the Supra-esque cockpit you get inside, it seems rotary engines just aren't very reliable and cook themselves to death. I think even ZenAuto said something to this effect.

Brave Auto, nice article and ride your father has. You really have a long background in autos! PS I had no clue about the RX3 either.

User Info Menu

Nah, the FD is a great car. The problem with them is if the original owner abused them. Buying an FD blindly can be a problem so you will want to purchase one from a trusted source and preferably from someone who knows thier way around the rotary engines and is familiar with the proper operation of the sequential turbos ... someone like Mark at Brave if you are importing one.

These cars should be as close to stock as possible so you can do your own reliabilty mods once they land.

I just got back from a yearly 2000km drive into the Okananagan and back to Calgary in my FD ... was 33deg and the car barely broke a sweat even through stop and go Kelowna traffic.

I've said it before, but the FD is about the best bang for your buck in Japan. Now that I've had a go at a stock 6-speed Supra next to my FD, the Supra feels a bit like a boat

My idea is save the difference you would have to pay over an FD to get a 6-speed Supra. That difference can sit in the bank and earn interest while you enjoy the RX-7. Once day you might need a new engine but they are dead easy to rebuild ... probably easier than trying to do valve seals on your 2JZ with the engine in the car.

User Info Menu

Hey Zen, I believe you when you say abuse by the previous owner can be a factor. Just to be the devil's advocate, why do reliability mods need to be done if the rotary engine is reliable in stock form?

It is impressive though that in 33 degree heat your car was happy. My Impreza is never happy in the summer, it runs fine but like any turbo'd car the heat takes away from its performance.

I do agree it is good value in Japan, I think cars like R32 GTR as much as I love them are way overpriced and valued. For the price of R32 GTR you can buy a GDB STi (but that's just me loving the Impreza too much).

What do you mean by Supra feeling like a boat? I'm guessing in the handling and weight department, although in a straight line Supra would win stock for stock wouldn't it? I've seen touge races and the FD destroys any car, it's gone up against Impreza, EVO, Supra etc.. and they're no match for the 50/50 weight distribution.

I also agree about the 2JZ valve seal issue, there's no debate, this is a common problem even among domestic Supra owners. This is off-topic, but the 2JZ valve seal issue is making me wonder if I should get a 1JZ car with much less weight, it's the whole boat argument you made again

User Info Menu

Hey JDM,
    The basics of the rotary engine are dead simple and extremely reliable. This is why you see the FB and FC still kicking around with half a million kilometers on original engines (there are not many piston engine Mazdas that lasted this long!). With the FD, there is a lot more pressure and heat on the rotors now with twin turbos and a sleak body that really does little for cooling the engine bay down .... but people make too much of this IMHO.

Remember that any car will cook itself if it is twin turbo and does not have much for cooling under hood ... this is why tuners go with aftermarket hoods complete with vents on any high power car .... the FD should have this mod but I hate to ruin the perfect lines so I left my stock hood alone and did what I could otherwise.

The reliabilty mods are mostly to avoid lean running conditions and to improve air flow / cooling. Rotaries will suffer a quick death if they are faced with detonation and the reason I recommend a new fuel pump just to be safe.

Not sure if you follow the Delica crowd but I would say that they are more paranoid on initial reliability maintenance spending than even I would be on a freshly imported RX-7. It is not uncommon for the west coast importers to spend $2-3000 on the Delicas whereas you can do all the necessary mods to your FD for under $1500 which will include a nice blingy boost gauge (curiously, Mazda did not fit a boost gauge from the factory).

You asked about the Supra ... they are heavy and overbuilt. Great grand touring cars but will not hold a candle to an RX-7 in steering/road feel. It's hard to explain but the RX-7 feels lively and urgent with razor edge steering. The Supra feels relaxed, muted and substantial by comparison. Don't get me wrong though ... the Supra is a great car and I'm a huge fan of Toyota.

Stock for stock, the Supra and RX-7 will run neck and neck in the 1/4 mile but the RX-7 will feel faster every second of it.

BTW ... get an Aristo. I personally think the Aristo is a steal. Lexus refinement, Italian styling and the ability to get 90% of the parts off the shelf from Toyota.

Sean
    Last edited by SeanI; 07-07-2009 at 08:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, and I didn't know that about Delica. That is a big turn off to have to put that kind of money into a car that just landed, but people must love these vehicles if they're willing to!

Personally I'd have a hard time justifying that when bringing in a 15-year old vehicle which will already have maintenance issues at some point.

I'd like to see one of those Best Motoring editions with stock Supra MKIV RZ vs the FD3S.

Hmm, everyone keeps telling me to go with Aristo, I love the engine (not the valve seals though), but still don't like the idea of having such a heavy car, compared to Chaser.

User Info Menu

I hear you on the heavy car thing.

Mini
    Celica
    Trueno x 2
    Toyota 4x4

i have never had a heavy car. My vote still goes to the Aristo. Should we make it a betting game? I would say the odds are in favour of the JZX90s at this point.

if you can't make up your mind until 1996 I would recommend a JZX100 chaser. I love those ones.

User Info Menu

I need a car this year for sure, so it is still between Aristo and Chaser/Mark II.
    I'm going to update that thread and see if someone can convince me