Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between JDM FD3S Mazda RX-7 RX7 models?

User Info Menu

Default Differences between JDM FD3S Mazda RX-7 RX7 models?

Touring X
    Type R
    Touring S
    Type RII

Those are the models and I had a quick look at the specs and noticed they all seem to have the same HP 255 PS. So what are the differences between them?

The USDM RX-7 also has 255 PS. What are the differences between the different JDM models and are they better compared to the USDM ones?

User Info Menu

Yes all of them have the rotary turbo 1308cc engine that puts out 255ps/6500rpm. The difference comes only in the trim and manual or automatic transmission.

Type S: 3,600,000 yen retail 1993. PS, PW, AC, ABS, LSD, Bucket Seats, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM, Cassette. 4AT/5MT.

Type R: 3,850,000 yen retail 1993. PS, PW, AC, ABS, LSD, Bucket Seats, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM, Cassette. 5MT only. + Fog Lamps, Rear & Front Spoilers.

Type RZ (RII US): 4,005,000 yen retail 1993. PS, PW, AC, ABS, LSD, Bucket Seats, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM, Cassette. 5MT only. Fog Lamps, Rear & Front Spoilers. This is the 2 seater version, lighter than the Type S by 30kg. Up to Sept '93 it came with P-ZERO tires & RECARO seats. From Oct '93 the package changed to include Bilstein Dampers, Bridgestone S-07 tires, BBS Mags, and RECARO seats.

Type X: 4,340,000 yen retail 1993. PS, PW, AC, ABS, LSD, Bucket Seats, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM, Cassette. 4AT/5MT . Fog Lamps, No spoilers + Driver's Air Bag, Sun Roof, Leather Seats, Auto AC, CD, BOSE Sound System and Cruise Control.

2008 marks 41 years, and 20 million engine bays for the Mazda rotary engine. Hip Hip Hurray it's come a long way!
    Last edited by JapanCarDirect; 11-07-2008 at 06:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarification on this.

User Info Menu

Wow! Great post JapanCarDirect! Thanks for the info. Do you know the main diffs with the JDM and USDM models?
    Automotive Fanatic.

Currently:

93 GC8 WRX
    93 R33 GTST (R334 conversion)
    86 FC3S RX7 (Holset "enhanced" 1UZFE powered)
    55 F-100

User Info Menu

Main difference in general between the USDM and JDM FD is the absence of a pre-catalytic converter in the JDM model. Our domestic FDs used two catalytic converters to pass emission regulations here. The first cat (pre-cat) was installed in the downpipe right up next to the turbos. When you started the car cold, they were programmed to a fast 3000rpm idle to quickly heat up the pre-cat so that it was efficient.

Having this cat bottling heat up next to the turbos really is not an ideal design ... the FD is notorious for baking itself underhood in the first place. Believe me, it gets so ruddy hot in there you can't even touch the hood prop with your bare hands after a run.

So, I think the JDM model has a good benefit without the stock pre-cat and without the fast idle on cold start. The combination might give the engine a bit longer life span then our domestic FDs have here.

That is not to say they are not high maintenance. Every spring you dust them off and do a full tune-up with plugs, wires, and all fluids at a minimum.

That being said, there is not another import I have tried that performs to the caliber of the third gen RX-7. It's simply pure and worth all the hassle.
    Last edited by SeanI; 01-20-2009 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Good info, and now this makes me think there is something to people claiming the old rotary engines aren't as reliable as we'd like them to be.

From what you're saying it sounds like the JDMs would inherently be faster and more reliable. Would you agree?

I agree, the 50/50 weight distribution was an amazing feat by Mazda IMHO

User Info Menu

Hi JDM,

I would not say the JDMs are definetely faster or more reliable. They may be more reliable in the long run. Anything to lower under hood temps on an FD is a bonus though.

Most owners of domestic FDs have completed reliability mods which would include replacing the downpipe section with an open pipe but it is nice to know the JDM models have never had this heat soak in the first place.

Cheers,

Sean

User Info Menu

I see what you mean, I was thinking the lack of those 2 cats would help with reliability combined with a lower starting idle.

I really know nothing about these cars, but it seems you know your stuff.

Any ideas why Mazda wouldn't have taken greater efforts to reduce the heat in the engine bay?

User Info Menu

I've always wanted an FD...but the rumors of them being high maintenance and many blown rotaries I didn't see the lour anymore. However I'm trying to find a car at the moment, but I doubt I could find a nice enough one (at least for my standards) in my price range.... They are just so damn sexy!
    == Chris ==
    2007 Yamaha FZ6 (for sale)
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd
    1992 Levin GT-Apex - soon to be retired

User Info Menu

CDE........ speak to Sean (ZEN)...

These are one of Sean's favorite cars and knows a lot about them and I am sure he will talk all day about them.

I grew up with rotaries myself as well and have had them all from RX3' through to to FD's as well as standard to wild. My last wild one was an 1982 model with a J-Port which I ported and built myself back in very early nineties while I was still in NZ. There is no real official training to be a rotary mechanic but luckily for myself via my late fathers racing connections (NZ Magazine just did an artical on my father) ,I spent many hours playing around in Niel Allport garage when I was a teenager as he was a rotary legend back in the eighties in NZ.

I ran a 12a out of an RX2 as the early 12a had larger ports and I then modified it into a J-Port. I ran a third bearing to help support the main shaft and carbon fiber apex seals. Back in these days..... carbon fiber was only new so they were like the bee's knees to have as apex seals. With steel apex seals they tend to crack at high revs where as carbon fiber do not and I could pull 9-10,000 revs without an worries. Although the 12a a smaller engine than the 13B it can rev higher where as the 13b rotors can and will twist slightly in the housing at high rev's.
    I ran a 48 IDA Weber bored out to 51mm on a high rise manifold, 7 pound Mazspeed fly wheel, direct cut gears in the box, two red holly fuel pumps, identical clutch as used in a Serria RS500 Cosworth Group A car....... tried a few HD clutches but they would tend and explode at high revs.

The car back then cost me NZ$4,500 and the motor plus all the parts to get it to run cost a further NZ$15k.......... yes yes.... I was young and .... we will leave it as that but I did have a quick car.
    There is nothing like having a vehicle where your you challenge your competitor (normally in a 5.0l V8) up to 6,000revs and soon as he/she pushes the clutch in to change gear..... you just plant it knowing you have another 4,000 revs per gear to go.

Today..... The RX3's are worth a fortune and early RX7's are heading that way as well.

Cheers

MB..