Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to ship?

User Info Menu

Default How long does it take to ship?

Hi all,

First of all I cant thank everyone enough for all the wonderful info! Without this board my first Japanese purchase would not have been possible!

So being the newbie that I am, I have a question that I tried to find an answer but can seem to locate it.
    I have paid Autotrader Imports for my car since Friday the 19th of this month. They confirmed back that they received the money on the 23rd ( Tuesday) and that the order for shipping was given. I have been trying to get an answer as to when my car will be shipped but I dont seem to be able to get one, so I'm feeling at this point very uneasy. The broker Graeme, wrote on his response to my question about the shipping date this past Friday that he will "ask" on Monday. Today its already getting to be Tuesday in Japan, I still dont have an answer.

So, I'm not exactly feeling good about it. I'm I right to be feeling that there is a problem? What would trusted brokers do after the sale and what is the "normal" timeframe that you would expect to know after the sale of your exact shipping date?

I appreciate your thoughts as this is driving me nuts...

User Info Menu

Your broker should have all the info for you, especially if he is arranging shipping/customs/insurance/etc...

My car took about a month to make it's way over if that helps you at all.
    I will eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reet View Post
    Your broker should have all the info for you, especially if he is arranging shipping/customs/insurance/etc...

My car took about a month to make it's way over if that helps you at all.
    Thanks for the reply.... so the question is I understand that it takes 10-12 days for the RORO trip. How long after you paid your money you were told of the shipping date?

User Info Menu

2-6 weeks is not exactly out of the norm.

You just had payment confirmation a week ago? It can take a couple of weeks to get a spot on a RORO ship.

No need to start to panic yet.

The whole process from start to finish can take from 4-8 weeks normally.

User Info Menu

Ok... I see... thanks again for your responses! Its kind of tough you see when you have send your money to someone you have no idea who they are and have only seen pictures of a car... I guess its the price you pay for a better deal! I knew there was a catch somewhere!

User Info Menu

Yes, I was pretty freaked out the first time I did it half a dozen years or more ago. I sometimes forget the process as I've taken "breaks" from importing cars.

In some ways it's good now as so many people are doing it there's always someone around that can help you with the process.

I won't lie, it's a bit of a gamble, I usually just keep my hopes and expectations low. I'm usually happy in the end.

What did you get?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raspeed View Post
    Yes, I was pretty freaked out the first time I did it half a dozen years or more ago. I sometimes forget the process as I've taken "breaks" from importing cars.

In some ways it's good now as so many people are doing it there's always someone around that can help you with the process.

I won't lie, it's a bit of a gamble, I usually just keep my hopes and expectations low. I'm usually happy in the end.

What did you get?
    Thanks again for your help... the gambling part is what scares me... if I see a car on the dock I will be very pleased! Not everyday you wire money to some foreign bank to a person you dont know!!! I do have my expectations low for the condition of the car, I pray for no vandalism or theft and that the body is straight I also have a budget for repairs... still I got what I was looking for ( I hope) at a good price,,, its a Porsche 928S4. If the car is half as good as its described to me, its going to be a good day!

User Info Menu

Ok... So I just got a message that my car is getting shipped from Kawasaki on the 10th of September! Cross my fingers

User Info Menu

YESSS!! welcome by the way, and enjoy the wait. spend some time reading up on your car here, and get involved in the convo!

May I ask what you've bought?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    YESSS!! welcome by the way, and enjoy the wait. spend some time reading up on your car here, and get involved in the convo!

May I ask what you've bought?
    Thanks Soren and thanks for the great site you guys run. I bought a Porsche 928 S4... Now I got to find the local shipping agent for my ship... search is my friend right?