Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pajero

User Info Menu

wow. Ken, if we could give rep around here, you would recieve it from me for a week on that post. very useful info. great!

User Info Menu

Hey, don't know if this belongs in this thread, but since it's titled "Pajero", here goes.

I was wondering if anyone knows the tuneability of the 94 Pajero ECU (yeah, I probably made up a word :P).

My Pajero SWB with the 6G74 should be getting here later in the week, and I believe it is tuned for 98 Octane. It would be nice to take it down to 91 Or 89 so that it will run smoother and I may not have to run premium. However, I'm used to the GTO, so I'll buy premium if I have to.

TIA guys!
    91 GTO TT
    SSQV, 3SX clutch, Motegi 18's, Hankook 245/40ZR18, MOMO shifter, eBoost EBC, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, Alpine Type R front/back (JL 3.5" in dash), two Kicker L5 12's, Hifonics Brutus 1600W, Kicker stereo amp, Compustar, 5% tint rear/40% sides
    Planned: engine management, injectors, fuel pump, 4WS delete

Green 94 Pajero SWB
    JVC KWADV794, JL 4" (dash), Viper 5501, Energy 10" w/MTX amp, BFG All-Terrain T/A's, mounted USB
    Planned: Exhaust, intake?

I roll with GC8REX

User Info Menu

A question to all Pajero and Delica guys with the 2.8L TD:
    How high you guys rev your engine and what would you consider border line or too high?
    So far I am taking easy on mine, haven't gone over 3000 rpm.

User Info Menu

I'd argue that depending on the conditions, sometimes 3000rpm isn't enough...

As you know, the Paj makes its power and torque down low so there's no real gain in revving it up, in terms of power gains. Where it can make a difference though, is in heat - specifically exhaust gas temperature, which, in excess, can kill a turbo, transmission, and engine, as the heat builds and works its way backwards...

I tow a trailer with my Paj on occasion, and its wind profile is such that it can really put a load on my truck, esp at altitude, and in windy conditions. If I find myself in these high demand conditions and let the truck pull at highway speeds at <3k rpm, the EGT guage will quickly go past 1200 degrees, which in my mind is the danger zone. Dropping it a gear puts me around 3500 rpm, which scavenges the exhaust out more quickly, and the EGTs drop back to reasonable levels. On long uphill climbs, I may run it this way for extended distances. The engine temp stays optimum, and the EGT stays below 1000*.

I guess what I'm saying is that depending on what you're doing, running the engine above 3000rpm may actually help rather than hurt the truck. I'm not suggesting that you go out and rev the pi$$ out of it, but knowing what else is going on besides rpm's can help you decide exactly where you want those rev's to sit.

On a side note, I think an EGT gauge is the most important thing you can add to a small diesel, to extend its life.

Hope this helped?
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the good info Phil.
    I don't tow anything, but sometime in the future I might as I got real dandy hitch on it.
    Not very experienced with diesels, other than a couple Peugeot 505s back a few years.
    So you are saying it's ok to go 3500, maybe even 4000rpm once in a while.
    While highway driving on a long steep hill it kicks down if I can't get a good run at it and than the engine revs above 3000rpm.
    By any chance could you upload some pics of your EGT gauge and how you installed it?
    Thanks,

Otto

User Info Menu

Okay, here's my gauge pod:

I could've used a DIN insert and had them a bit higher, but I wanted to put my CB in the second slot, so I used the pocket underneath for three VDO's: L to R, volts, boost, EGT.

The EGT gets power from my aux fuse panel behind the glove box. As far as hookup, there are several schools of thought on where to install the probe. Many swear that the probe should be before the turbo for the most accurate reading. While that may be true, the other camp is paranoid that if the probe gets brittle in all that heat and goes to pieces, then you are buying a new probe AND turbo. I am in the second camp, so I drilled a hole as soon after the turbo in the downpipe as I could reach, and tapped a hole for the threaded bung. Most egt pkgs come with a weld on bung too, but there's not a lot of clearance there... Then you simply hook up the wires, route through the firewall to the guage, and you have a good read on your temp. Its also very handy to see where your temp is before you shut off the ignition too. I don't have an underhood pic, but if you crawl underneath and look up at your exhaust, the probe on mine goes into the stream as far up as I could reach and still be able to drill and tap the hole.

Hope this helps!

BTW, if you want to reduce your revs on the highway, install a set of 33s! Instant drop of about 300rpm! LOL!

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Thanks again, the gauge pod looks cool, I will have to hook up something similar.
    Perhaps a volt meter, an oil pressure and the EGT.
    I will seriously consider 33s next time, but my tires are brand new.

User Info Menu

MrBishi, that looks fantastic! So cool to have so many gadgets! A CB!!! sweet! Do you have a big antenna too, or is that different technology these days (smaller antennae?)

User Info Menu

I do have a 5' K40 whip, but its removable with a 3/4 turn. Yeah, CB technology hasn't really changed that much... still pretty much 1970s cutting edge! Also have a ham radio as well, which really ups the communication factor!

User Info Menu

Any of you guys thought of upgrading the air filter to a cold air intake with a performance fiter?
    If so please tell me about it and post some pics.
    Thanks