Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pajero

User Info Menu

Upgraded the air intake to a Safari snorkel. No CAI's on my 4x4!! The mitsu stock intake is pretty waterproof (uses the fender), but I wanted to raise it out of the dust and possible water immersion. Depends on how you use your rig of course, but cold air intakes are very vulnerable to the elements...

I do have a K&N E1012 inside that very waterproof airbox, so I can clean it out regularly...
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Yeah, I saw the snorkel on your truck, but I don't want to go that route.
    The whole idea was to lower the air temp.
    Tried to look up the filter number your provided but couldn't find, there is an RF1012, is that the one you have in your airbox?
    Could you post a picture?

Here is one I found online.
    Attached Images Attached Images
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

User Info Menu

Well, I was sure it was an E1012, but a search brings up this one, the E2871. Maybe they changed the number. Or more likely, my memory is fading...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?prod=e-2871

Now, what was the question...?

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Thanks Phil,
    The question still remains, how to supply more air at a lower temperature?

User Info Menu

Another question is Phil, how is the waterproofing in Pajero gas or diesals? Most 4x4s I had either had bad distributor caps or lights flooding...transmissions and diffs flooding aswell.

With your experience...how deep will she go?

User Info Menu

They're pretty water tight, esp the diesels.

-Good sturdy ladder frame so the doors tend to seal very well since the frame doesn't flex much.
    -with good air intake (ie snorkel) diesels should run under water (no dizzy cap, no spark)
    -I've had my 2 of my 3 gassers with water coming over the hood. Ditto for my first diesel. All ran perfectly. Once an older 4runner followed me through a hole and hydrolocked. Broke a connecting rod apparently, when all was taken apart. (this was partly due to him driving too fast, thus no bow wave). While water this deep is not recommended, and I'd avoid it if at all possible, its nice to know you can get away with it if you have to.

Diffs - Rear had a breather going to a crossmember at about the height of the tops of the stock size tires. Front has a one way breather cap on top that I'd replace if I planned on making water crossings a habit.

Trans: 5sp has a breather built into the shift boot, auto has one on top of the case. Both are protected pretty well with rubber hoods.

All fluid points have drain plugs, so if any water does enter, its fairly easy to get out. Trans, gastank, f&r diffs, etc. Its scary how many vehicles these days don't have these drains.

Yes I'm biased. Lots of other manufacturers are good in water, esp Nissan and Toyo. But Mitsu is right up there with them in my experience.

Hope this is the kind of info you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Oh, front wheel bearings are pretty tight too, although I've never seen a 4x4 that didn't see some water entry into the wheel bearings if submerged enough. Packing heavy grease in behind you're swapped in manual hubs helps a lot, but frequent regreasings are still necessary if you don't want to replace your wheel bearings once a year after taking your truck swimming...

User Info Menu

Ok. Thinking about getting a Pajero SWD TD....
    Mister Bishi.... 12.6L/100km seems kind a high. Is that city or highway or mix? I know you have the LWB, but is that the milage I should expect?
    That guy from http://www.righthanddrive.ca - Right hand driving news and thoughts

User Info Menu

Went deeper on this trip, but of course have no proof

This one got deeper too!

User Info Menu

Right about now on some forums somebody would put in a disclaimer about "blah blah at your own risk..." etc, but we're all big boys/girls here, and so I know you all have enough sense to be careful.

Lest I come off sounding like a hill billy know it all, lemme finish by saying I've probably been very lucky way more than my fair share, out on the trails. I also wheel with good people. If you go into deep water with anything mechanical, it WILL find its way in eventually, so keep exposure to a minimum, and inspect everything afterward to make sure it stayed out.

These days, I try to avoid all of it, mud included. Too expensive to clean up. Slickrock is much cleaner, and more fun!

All right, my verbal drivel is over. Back to cooler and faster JDM's!!