Thread: RB25DET Reliability?

User Info Menu

Default RB25DET Reliability?

Seeing as to how the Stagea's are almost (or are) legal now and winter coming up soon, I was thinking of picking one up so I don't have to use the truck as much... Just I'm more of a Toyota guy when it comes to knowing about JDM's at least. Mostly I'd be concerned of how hard it would be to get parts for them since I don't think that Nissan offered that engine to us here? What are some common problem areas with them (ie. poor head gaskets, water pumps etc...)?

I know that it depends on how well taken care of its been and blah blah blah, I just wanna learn as much as I can before I pull the trigger and import a Stagea so I know what I'm dealing with.

Current: 2001 Bmw 325i, 1999 Ford Exploder V8
    Jordan v.

User Info Menu

Its a RB25.. the most solid of the RB series..

being that im a Skyline Lover for years and have played with all Nissan engines..

Being that Skylines are one of the most imported car into Canada parts are easy to get.. also they cross reference with 240SX, and 300ZX, maxima etc..

you wont go wrong with a RB25 there isnt really any commen issue that i can think of off the top of my head..

Change the timing belt at around 100,000, Water pump and stuff with that.
    Clean the MAF, new Spark plugs, and she should treat you nice.

User Info Menu

Agreed, the RB25 is a solid engine. Never had any issues with them in the past.

User Info Menu

Do it! Then you can be JDM again! Those have gotta be pretty rare too, maybe you'll have one of the first ones! Looks like they are legal as of Sept 96, so they can come naoowwww!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies hunter & william!

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    Do it! Then you can be JDM again! Those have gotta be pretty rare too, maybe you'll have one of the first ones! Looks like they are legal as of Sept 96, so they can come naoowwww!
    I miss my JDM haha. Not many people know about them when I bring it up in conversation (except some of my Asian friends). Once I get my cast off my arm and head back to work I`ll be looking into bring one over. Haven`t followed them at auctions too much, but apparently average prices for one are still around 60,000 Yen...

Current: 2001 Bmw 325i, 1999 Ford Exploder V8
    Jordan v.