Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storage

User Info Menu

Unhappy Winter Storage

Well as much as I hate to, I have to start thinking about getting the subie ready for winter storage. The question is though, what do you fine folks recommend doing to put a car into storage? (I would drive it if I could, but the suspension isn't made for winter let alone SK roads).

I've already got:

-Oil & Filter
    -Jackstands (been on the fence about putting the car up on jack stands as the cement pad it has to sit on isn't exactly level. not sure where a stable jack point would be really either)
    -Tarp Car Garage (It's not the best but better than nothing at the moment.)
    -Awesome Impreza car cover
    -Car is cleaned out.
    -Picked up stay-bil for the gas.

Things I plan to do:

-fill the tank right up
    -check the coolant make sure its alright
    -pick up a trickle charger for the battery

-plan on starting the car every few days to let everything circulate (good or bad to do this?)

If I'm missing anything feel free to chime in and let me know. If there are people here that store their cars for the winter it'd be great to know what you do/don't do. Thank-you to everyone in advance.

User Info Menu

I used to have a checklist, but don't bother anymore. I pretty much just do the following, but I'm in BC and we don't get winters like you do in SK:

- Have been changing the oil prior, but don't know if you really need to
    - Add fuel stabilizer then fill the tank
    - Drive the car for a bit so the stabilizer gets through the whole system
    - Top the tank again (shouldn't need much)
    - Put something in the car to absorb moisture
    - Put extra air in the tires (I don't put my car on stands, so I overfill the tires in the hopes that they don't get super low over winter. I think it also helps deter flat spots from forming on the tires)
    - Put some kind of cover over the car, preferably something soft so the paint doesn't get scratched and so moisture doesn't get trapped under the cover
    - Ideally, I'd pull the battery and charge it every couple of weeks, but this doesn't usually happen (Costco battery, so when it's dead after winter and won't hold a charge anymore I can go and get a free replacement A bit lame I know, but until I live in a place that has a garage I'm sort of stuck with this method.

I personally wouldn't bother starting the car every couple of days. IMO you would be doing more harm than good. I'm sure this is debatable, but I don't want to just idle my car. I prefer to actually drive it or disconnect the battery and just let it sit until I'm ready to use it again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    I personally wouldn't bother starting the car every couple of days. IMO you would be doing more harm than good. I'm sure this is debatable, but I don't want to just idle my car. I prefer to actually drive it or disconnect the battery and just let it sit until I'm ready to use it again.
    My main concern is if the car isn't started every so often, I don't want to seize anything, or have any hoses or seals go bad.

As for overfilling the tires and not using jackstands I think that is what I will end up doing since I've heard that leaving the suspension in full droop isn't good for the bushings (I've no clue about this really).

User Info Menu

Stock suspension thats undercoated so protect it, winter tires, block heater....oh wait I thought you were asking what to do to get it ready to drive in the winter since its a perfect winter car

J/K I understand your pain! Full tank of gas is good, disco battery, she should be GTG in spring.
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

lol I wish I could drive it in the winter , looking at sourcing out a subie for winter.

Any thoughts though on starting the car every so often or would that be a no no?

User Info Menu

I know I've already posted this, but I'll say it again anyway....I wouldn't start it up. Cold starts are one of the hardest things on your engine. If all you are doing is starting it up and idling I don't think it's a good idea. If you are concerned about rubber seals and gaskets I think there are additives you can add to your oil that will help preserve them. I think you add it before storage, drive the car a bit to get everything moving around/coated. When you want to take it out of storage the first thing you have to do is change the oil to get some clean stuff in there.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in aside from myself

User Info Menu

I'm with Ryan, cold start especially mega cold is very very hard on the motor, i've had cars sit all winter under tarps in the yard run perfect come spring, mostly I've read full tank of gas to avoid collecting condensation, really in a Garage it should be mint!
    Sourcing a Subie for winter? do you not have a winter car? oh man! Crank up those coilovers, undercoat them, get that puppy winter ready! Winter is more fun in a WRX!
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

thanks guys for the input of the cold starting, I was kinda on the fence, but now I won't touch it for the winter. Any additives any of you have used in the past that do preserve oil seals and gaskets?

I have a winter vehicle that used to be my dd, but I would like to get rid of it since it has almost 250 000km on the car and try to find another subaru for the winter months. That way I keep AWD all year round.

User Info Menu

why don't you just use blockheater few days before you want to start it (or oilpan heater), and then start it to get the fluids going? Or is this still too hard on the engine?

User Info Menu

I have a block heater on it, but I'm not sure if that is going to help any.

An upside for having it sit this winter is that I can get the injectors out and cleaned, as well as get the new hood and grill painted/put on. I've even thought about ripping the turbo out to see what kind of condition it is in.