Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EK9 Type R

User Info Menu

yeah - I edited my post there - I guess I mean Honda Civic type guys - haha! Not the NSX dudes!

User Info Menu

I'm just messing with you the Honda and the Nissan crowd have all the kids with cars worth less then a months insurance payment but we can't forget about the NSXs and GTRs haha.
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I have about 3 buyers ready to pounce on these when they're legal.
    What month will they be officially legal, Will?

Quote Originally Posted by pitty View Post
    More power at about the same weight and shorter wheelbase spring to mind.

Civic for utility though, two sets of wheels fit in that hatch wit no sweat. Try that with an Integra!
    Sure, more power, but the Civic boasts a more impressive hp/L and is actually a little over 100 kgs lighter, thus also boasting a better power-to-weight ratio (obviously the torque battle goes to the DC2 with the extra 0.2L of displacement.)
    Definitely more versatile though being a rounded hatchback as opposed to the more "coupe" style of the Integra.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Haha. Until I seen the price of them. A civic hatch with a 1.6L 4cyl isn't worth that amount of money to me and never will be.

DC2 FTW. Cheaper, and moar power. Plus they look better.
    What does engine displacement and the number of cylinders have to do with value? =/
    I imagine the prices will drop some after the initial craze, sort of like they have with the ITR (from what I've noticed at least), but I'll definitely be budgeting to bring one over in at least the same condition my GC8 was when it came over.
    Looks are, of course, subjective.

I know a lot of it is just nostalgia for me, as ever since I sold my '98 hatch, which was my first car, I've wanted another one.
    I used to hate how they looked before I got mine, but it grew on me (and I actually prefer the pre-facelifted years over the 99-00, contrary to most 6th gen enthusiasts) and now I can't wait to hold the keys to a real EK9.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VTAKLOL View Post
    Sure, more power, but the Civic boasts a more impressive hp/L and is actually a little over 100 kgs lighter
    95-97 JDM ITR weighs in at 1060kg, while the CTR does at 1050kg.

The USDM ITR might be 100kg heavier than the CTR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VTAKLOL View Post
    What does engine displacement and the number of cylinders have to do with value? =/
    I imagine the prices will drop some after the initial craze, sort of like they have with the ITR (from what I've noticed at least), but I'll definitely be budgeting to bring one over in at least the same condition my GC8 was when it came over.
    Looks are, of course, subjective.

Because I can't stand how torqueless my 2.0L 4cyl is, even with boost.
    A 1.6L n/a 4cyl in a civic is not my idea of value at over $10,000. And I can't stand fwd. No way in hell I am paying that much for a civic.

How do you figure the price(s) will drop after the "craze"? What craze? The prices we are talking about are right now, selling in Japan, while we can't get them. They are not likely to drop much in the next couple years.

User Info Menu

The DC2 is the better car no question. Look at all the tests etc arguing this is dumb. Now if you just like the EK9 that is cool it's a nice car. The reason people don't think it's worth it is that for the price of it you can easily buy a k swapped and modded ek, eg, etc... that will be light years ahead in performance. EK9 or DC2 are seriously fun and fast small technical track cars but lame on the street. And as Braden mentioned there is no craze no one is bringing these cars over. I don't think the prices will change.
    Last edited by FtGF; 11-12-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

There is no question the dc2 has a better power to weight ratio as well. The drag tests prove that (along with the weight and power ratings, as the driver factor comes into play)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKF950JjHZw

User Info Menu

August 1997 Brandon is when they are available. Hope to see lots of them come in!

User Info Menu

I think it's a shame how this thread has gone. Obviously black4dr is a Honda enthusiast and loves the EK9 Type R and we shouldn't bag on him for that. In all seriousness I would prefer DC2 Type R but anything Type R is impressive considering how much power these small 4-cylinder NA engines make and only Honda can do it that way. One other car I think is pretty cool is the Accord Euro R but I believe that started in 2000 or 2001.

I do see the point about the price of these Honda's, but it says a lot of people love them even though the $/HP isn't as affordable as some other imports but to each their own. I also think all GTR models are quite expensive but that doesn't make them a better or worse car. However, when it comes time for me to buy, I wouldn't feel comfortable spending so much for an older vehicle but I'd make an exception if I loved the car (fortunately GDB STi's will be even cheaper when they're legal for Canada).

Technical discussion is fine but why go out of your way to insult someone's dream car? I know that's one reason I started these forums, I'm sure we could name ABC forum that would tell us how our WRX's are nothing and XYZ car is better anyway.

User Info Menu

Nobody's insulting the CTR here (except for B, but he doesn't count on account of being an underage punk and a whippersnapper). They're awesome cars, and I'd take one over the ITR in a blink, because it's smaller, but still extremely tossable, and yet can haul so much stuff inside you'd think it was a minivan. We're just correcting some factual misconceptions regarding the dimensions and power to weight ratios of the two cars.

Oh, and your WRXs are nothing and XYZ car is better anyway!