Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EK9 Type R

User Info Menu

These are fun little cars and I hope some of them come into Canada since there was never a type R Civic released here.

User Info Menu

I hate those cars for how agile they are despite being turbine-less and quite simple.
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I think it's a shame how this thread has gone. Obviously black4dr is a Honda enthusiast and loves the EK9 Type R and we shouldn't bag on him for that. In all seriousness I would prefer DC2 Type R but anything Type R is impressive considering how much power these small 4-cylinder NA engines make and only Honda can do it that way. One other car I think is pretty cool is the Accord Euro R but I believe that started in 2000 or 2001.

I do see the point about the price of these Honda's, but it says a lot of people love them even though the $/HP isn't as affordable as some other imports but to each their own. I also think all GTR models are quite expensive but that doesn't make them a better or worse car. However, when it comes time for me to buy, I wouldn't feel comfortable spending so much for an older vehicle but I'd make an exception if I loved the car (fortunately GDB STi's will be even cheaper when they're legal for Canada).

Technical discussion is fine but why go out of your way to insult someone's dream car? I know that's one reason I started these forums, I'm sure we could name ABC forum that would tell us how our WRX's are nothing and XYZ car is better anyway.
    No one is bashing anyone. Just straightening out the facts about the dc2 vs ek9.
    Last edited by Braden; 11-13-2011 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah yes, sorry I was indeed quoting the USDM ITR weight.
    Regardless, they're still fairly closely matched.

And while there may not be a "craze", I still believe the prices will drop in a couple years..like mentioned, it is "just a Civic" and it certainly won't be going up in value as it gets older.

Now that the technicalities are sorted out..

Braden, perhaps you're better suited to an American V8 powered car? Not a negative thing, just based on your comments..and after having driven a 2011 5.0L Mustang, I wouldn't blame anyone for craving that kind of torque!
    But our cars are no slouch, and how the GC8 isn't enough torque for you on the street, I don't understand, perhaps I'm too used to owning gutless Hondas? A stock 13 second car is perfectly quick enough for me!
    Which leads me to FtGF's comment about being lame on the street, and I disagree.
    My DB2 was tons of fun, tossing around in whatever corners I could find and revving up to 8000 rpm (that being said, it's a credit to the point you made about Hondas being very capable track cars and building truly excellent engines.)
    And while the additional power and torque in my GC8 is certainly entertaining, I still find myself longing to be behind the wheel of another B-series Honda.

On a final personal note, being that they won't be legal until August of next year, I will likely wait to get a 1998 model and put some more money into the GC8 in the meantime.
    Same year as the EJ6 I had, and that way I can follow through on my plans for the GC8 and have the EK9 here for the beginning of the following season, rather than the end.
    However it plays out, I will definitely be giving you a call, Will!
    Last edited by VTAKLOL; 11-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

B is just crazy. He ought to own a freight train, or the closest automotive equivalent - a 90-95 ZR1. Anything less will be "gutless".

There's a lot of good to be said for that platform. I've never owned a B-motor, but even the D15 powered EJ that I had was some of the most sure footed cars I've been in, despite only being able to dream about putting out triple digits on a dyno. Put a zippy motor into a light car, make sure it has a capable suspension, and a superlative gearbox, and you have a winner. Those things are fun to keep in gear! Don't coast, and you'll never feel the lack of torque down low. Suspensions on them keep the wheels on the pavement like early WRXs and Evos couldn't even dream of, and the rod shifter linkage on a Honda tranny makes operating any cable-actuated transverse gearbox feel like stirring pizza dough with a teaspoon.

There's a reason these cars are so loved, and it's not because they shred dynos with massive horsepower, but because they make more out of the power they have than just about anything else.
    Last edited by pitty; 11-16-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: shit I made a typo!

User Info Menu

Great post! Pitty, you need to do more of this! clap:clap.

User Info Menu

All this Honda love makes me really miss my boosted Integra. Honda can build a very impressive engine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VTAKLOL View Post

Braden, perhaps you're better suited to an American V8 powered car? Not a negative thing, just based on your comments..and after having driven a 2011 5.0L Mustang, I wouldn't blame anyone for craving that kind of torque!
    But our cars are no slouch, and how the GC8 isn't enough torque for you on the street, I don't understand, perhaps I'm too used to owning gutless Hondas? A stock 13 second car is perfectly quick enough for me!
    Which leads me to FtGF's comment about being lame on the street, and I disagree.
    Nahh. AWD is too much win. And I can't think of any awd v8 cars that I fancy that are affordable. In daily driving situations off boost when your not hammering on it it would be nice to have more torque. For example sti's with the 2.5L engine, so much more torque off boost. Just makes DDing a bit easier imo.

I still just can't see myself paying 12k+ for a civic type R. Just me... I would gladly pay 8-9 for an ITR though. I adore those things. Maybe if the civics were more in the itr price range I would fancy them more. Nothing against the car at all, just the price.

Quote Originally Posted by pitty View Post
    B is just crazy. He ought to own a freight train, or the closest automotive equivalent - a 90-95 ZR1. Anything less will be "gutless".
    The moar power the happier I am
    Last edited by Braden; 11-16-2011 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Lack of torque is a real lack of fun. Even the jump from 2.0 to 3.0 is pretty substantial, the WRX feels pretty gutless off boost where as my supra's and 3000GT had a lot more juice. Having to rev the snot out of the car to find power isn't as fun as it seems on paper.

I've never driven one, but on paper C5 vette has all the goods I want!
    Or maybe the 1UZFE from my Celsior with a turbo in the WRX, perfect combo! Wait wait 3000gt interior in the Subaru...wait wait, 1UZFE turbo in the 3000gt with body the size and weight of the GF8 with subaru easy of maintainince....wait wait.. I'm not sure I could justify that money on a Civic TypeR when you can get a full modified, perfect B18 EK9 locally for a lot less.
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

Except you can't get any EK9 locally. It's a code unique to the Type R.

North american Civics of that generation weren't even EKs. Semantics, I know.

Turbo cars feel gutless off boost, because they were designed to run on boost. Hence, low compression, an entirely different engine character. Can't compare an off-boost turbo motor to a hot NA mill which was built to get the most out of NA.