Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: EK9 Type R

User Info Menu

Also the Type Rs had extra chassis strengthening which you can't do unless you strip the car. So another advantage over a local civic with a swap other then the whole rust thing!
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pitty View Post
    Except you can't get any EK9 locally. It's a code unique to the Type R.

North american Civics of that generation weren't even EKs. Semantics, I know.

Turbo cars feel gutless off boost, because they were designed to run on boost. Hence, low compression, an entirely different engine character. Can't compare an off-boost turbo motor to a hot NA mill which was built to get the most out of NA.
    No, but I can compare a 2.0L turbo to a 2.5L turbo or a 3.0L turbo

User Info Menu

I dunno, torque is torque, I've driven 1.6's and 2.0's with more compression, they are still a bit torqueless down low, but I can't say I've driven a TypeR, I'm sure its great! Rust free and chassis parts, both positives! but a rust free BC car I bet you could find, heck even in Albertee, I wonder how much a rust free, clean, tight, non R grade Civic type R would cost? much I would bet!
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsoup View Post
    I dunno, torque is torque, I've driven 1.6's and 2.0's with more compression, they are still a bit torqueless down low, but I can't say I've driven a TypeR, I'm sure its great!
    Well, I won't argue with that. Torque is torque, and a Type R (any Type R) doesn't have it. What it does have is an acute ability to teach you that preservation of momentum is more important than your car's ability to jump to 100 from a stop quickly. Which is why a lot of folks find them unrewarding to use daily. You have to keep them in gear, slow down and time your lights instead of racing to red and stopping, never coast with clutch in, no matter how slow - keep the motor revving! Aaand... forget about stop light drags unless you like disappointment. Car's got a learning curve.

User Info Menu

dc2 0-100km is still in the low 6 seconds range stock so they are not that bad in stop light drags. Just gotta rev it higher.

User Info Menu

Yeah, "low 6 seconds" means a V6 Camry will pass you without making a fuss when you WOT, and a base Corolla will do the same if you're trying to retain a semblance of civility.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pitty View Post
    Yeah, "low 6 seconds" means a V6 Camry will pass you without making a fuss when you WOT, and a base Corolla will do the same if you're trying to retain a semblance of civility.
    3.5L V6 with 268HP? that would beat a lot of cars! I find it strange that they put so much power in the Camry.

User Info Menu

I think that the civic Type R's are a little overpriced, but overall these are great cars, I've read a review where they found a old test car and compared it to a 2010 SI and the Integra type r came out on top for the drag, braking, and cornering test. I can't wait to import one and sit in those recaro seats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silent112 View Post
    I think that the civic Type R's are a little overpriced, but overall these are great cars, I've read a review where they found a old test car and compared it to a 2010 SI and the Integra type r came out on top for the drag, braking, and cornering test. I can't wait to import one and sit in those recaro seats
    That was edmunds inside line. Also faster in the slalom then almost anything.
    Last edited by FtGF; 11-17-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight