Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Evolution IV is coming!

User Info Menu

Some updates - I'm now insured. For 14 days anyways, starting at noon tomorrow. Care to guess why I have arranged insurance on it? Ahem....
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Can I ask why people still use searail? Has anyone used the google search function for "searail review" ?

User Info Menu

Default Evo IV

Hey this is an ancient post, so I don't expect too many replies, but here goes:

My 18 yr old daughter is looking at a '96 EVO IV recently imported. What can you tell me about these cars (other than the horrible mileage based on the posts)? How is it for part availability? How about winter driving in Saskatchewan? (no block heater installed yet) What's going to break first and can we fix it ourselves? What do you think it would be worth (great shape from the outside), and does anyone know of another source or buddy (or yourself) where we could get a better deal on a "special" car like this - this will be our first and I don't want to get burned.

Thanks all,

Huskie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    Hey this is an ancient post, so I don't expect too many replies, but here goes:

My 18 yr old daughter is looking at a '96 EVO IV recently imported. What can you tell me about these cars (other than the horrible mileage based on the posts)? How is it for part availability? How about winter driving in Saskatchewan? (no block heater installed yet) What's going to break first and can we fix it ourselves? What do you think it would be worth (great shape from the outside), and does anyone know of another source or buddy (or yourself) where we could get a better deal on a "special" car like this - this will be our first and I don't want to get burned.

Thanks all,

Huskie

You should probably start your own thread but I can answer some of your questions anyway. Part availability is scarce in Canada, since they didn't make them here. The only parts that are readily available are parts from Evo 8 and 9 vehicles which they made in the States, mostly engine parts since the engines are quite similar, but not exact. All these parts you have to spend time researching and making sure they are compatible. If you can't find a compatible part from an Evo 8/9 then you can go to either eBay or a supplier in the UK. Can't say what'll break first, just beware that Evo 4's suffer from crankwalk and can suffer severe engine failure, although it's not all that common but it has affected the price of 4's in my opinion. If you want a good car for your daughter I wouldn't recommend an Evo 4, even though they're an amazing car, go for something more practical with parts that are more readily available like a Civic Type R, or even a Subaru you can find more parts for here. Hope this helps.
    1990 Celica All Trac- Sold
    1999 Mitsubishi Evolution VI GSR

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer with the back. Horsepower is how fast you hit it and torque is how far you take the wall"

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)