Thread: Argh, parts frustration! <semi restrained rant>

User Info Menu

Default Argh, parts frustration! <semi restrained rant>

So my Paj needs two rear ujoints. 150k kms, no biggie. Generally I walk into my local, ask for ___ for 94 (NA MY plus one) Montero parts. One or two days later I get my parts, all is well.

Not this time. First set of ujoints they brought in were wrong. Their mistake, my fault for not having a number in my head before I went in. Reordered what my research told me was the right ones. Went back yesterday to pickup, with calipers in hand. Nope. Not the right ones. Monteros and Pajeros from 90 to 2000 ALL take the SAME ujoint. All of them, according to the catalogs. But nobody told my truck. Nope, not big enough. These things are a full 3 inches across, compared to the pansy 2.2 something inch ones that NAPA got me.

Spent yesterday and most of today running searches, numbers etc. It "seems" that for one year (guess which one) Mitsu changed to this large yoke spread, large ujoint set up. Then changed BACK. WTF? Who does that? So, number in hand, I march back to my friendly NAPA to order them up but... wait. Doesn't show in their system. Argghhhh. They're gonna check Monday, but it looks unlikely they can source em. Sigh. Back to research. Factory part number might be useful for the dealer? Maybe?

In case your Pajero ever gives you grief, precision ujoint number 450 should do the rear driveshaft in most cases in the 90s, unless you have the lucky 93-94 with the "special" extra heavy duty ujoint, in which case you need a precision 412, which is so special that no one seems to think it exists...

If you've read this far, and are interested. I'll keep you posted...
    Current: 1997 Pajero Evolution no.581, 2013 Lancer Sportback, 2003 Montero

Not forgotten: 93 Pajero, 91 Pajero, 96 Evo4, 91 Galant AWD, 89 Montero, 89 Raider, 88 Raider...

User Info Menu

Gee, that is strange that they'd change a part for one year.

Hope you can get it sorted quick!

User Info Menu

So I found the right ujoints, and the Paj is running smooth down the highway again. Who'd have thought that it'd be so difficult to find?

Yep. ONE YEAR of the 412, and then back to the 450 again. I think they're messing with me!

On the plus side, I got two tanks in a row of the best mileage ever out of this truck. But that required way too much granny driving to be worth the savings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bishi View Post
    So I found the right ujoints, and the Paj is running smooth down the highway again. Who'd have thought that it'd be so difficult to find?

Yep. ONE YEAR of the 412, and then back to the 450 again. I think they're messing with me!

On the plus side, I got two tanks in a row of the best mileage ever out of this truck. But that required way too much granny driving to be worth the savings!

Good thing you were able to get the "special" U joint, mine is a 95 so I guess the 450 is the one.
    Speaking of mileage, do you think it's OK to coast in neutral on long downhills as long as the engine still running?