Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celica ST205 FYI and WRX comparison

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vr4much? View Post
    Gotta say, now that all the suspension components are maintained handling feels so much better than the WRX despite being 400-500lb heavier.

... ended up buying VR4's ST205 for my winter car ... car intrigued me as it has the original factory option Recaro interior

He did an awesome job sorting out the suspension ... drives like new! Clean car and a stand up guy.

Currently trying my damndest to get the new remote start to function.

User Info Menu

I sort of wish I had gotten the ST205 despite all the things I have mentioned. I picked the WRX as its way more practical and a bit lighter. Honestly none of those things matter if you like a nicer car. 300lbs difference really isn't that much speed at all when you consider the superior equipment the ST205 came with. I don't like the cheap and basic interior on the WRX, its pretty laggy (better with Rob's tune) I wanted the refinement of the ST205, but seriously, the WRX is so much easier to fix...
    Can't have it all.

Love those ST205's *dreamy eyes* need to get a Supra again to cure my pain.
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsoup View Post
    300lbs difference really isn't that much speed at all when you consider the superior equipment the ST205 came with.

I see we think the same. Best be careful with that attitude around here though. Most people strong heartedly disagree!

User Info Menu

I dunno, stronger tranny, dual entry turbo, 4 piston brakes, Torsen LSD, Superstrut suspension, liquid air intercooler, I think its a fact that the ST205 has better equipment stock for stock (v2 Sti anyways, V3 has 4 piston brakes)
    Newer STi RA has the equipment, but its also a fact the Celica has a nicer interior, I like the WRX but facts RR facts!
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

I know, I was agreeing with you lol.

User Info Menu

Meh if the car isn't competitive in motorsports like the GC still is, not interested! I get this is a thread so everyone can gush over this car but it depends what you want to use it for. Cool for cruising, left for dead in competition. I also think the front end is ugly! And yes 300lbs in a car is a lot if you are using it to compete. It all really depends what you want it for. You can still see GCs in Rally America, CRC, Time Attack, the Toyota not so much. I do seem to come from a different point of view then most of you guys though.

I do like the WRC version though and have always wondered if Toyota never used the illegal restrictor if Kankkunen the way he was driving that year would have beat McRae.
    Last edited by FtGF; 12-21-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

I don't know how people still using GC's in rally has to do with it being a good street car as 99.99% of people who have owned them use it for. Maybe some people in north america still use GC platforms, budget rally guys, but a lot of people use the newer, stiffer WRX chassis for racing. The Celica was succesful in WRC in the day, it did the job. Its just a nicer street car then the stripped out WRX. The WRX is an economy car with a giant turbo, fast steering rack and kindney killing seats, what floats your boat? I like the lightweight part of the WRX, sure, but a part of me would like the 300lbs with nicer gear and a better cockpit. I think streetcars are a lot about how they make you feel, not what is the lightest or fastest, who cares really anyways, all these cars are ancient relics compared to the newer machines which win in almost all categories (except weight sure, but again street car..)

I bet the newer WRX's have the nicer interior and higher quality feel that I like, I've never been in them, although them you lose the weight advantage, alas alas. All are nice, all are flawed, don't buy a care based on stats, buy it on how it makes you feel, there is always someone faster no matter what car you drive.

User Info Menu

Over all for cost of entry, cost of ownership, aftermarket support, performance potential, community. The WRX wins 100x over. Also the thread title doesn't say street comparison. People like me buy these cars for more then grocery shopping. But yes drive what you like of course. This is just what I think.
    Last edited by FtGF; 12-21-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

This is a nice thread and a good comparison and I'm glad people are doing more of this. There's too little talk/reviews about the different cars.

Of course I'm a huge WRX fan and I don't know much about ST205. I do love the styling, its rally heritage and the engine and transmission are said to be bulletproof, arguably more-so than some WRX models (although I stand by the reliability of EJ20G).

As far as rally goes I think it was a bit of a failure by Toyota IMHO. Not only because they cheated and were disqualified but because the weight and chassis didn't seem to be as suited for rallying as EVO or Impreza.

As far as the mechanicals go I'm very afraid of the strut issues and more-so about the clutch because of the incredible labor of changing it ane's d this personally rules it out of my future purchases for that reason (yes I'm paranoid/smart about reliability and maintenance costs or so I like to think lol).

Without having driven one though I'm still quite sure the interior is nicer and of high quality and it's probably more practical to drive than the hardcore WRX and it's a must-own for Celica fans.

I do agree with Kingsoup, most of us never track our cars and fewer of us actually mod our cars much so the street performance is for the most part what most of us will care about (and I'm included here).

I'm sure FtGF and some of the other hardcores might consider me a poser (like the 4x4 people who never go off-road). But there's something special about using a JDM and a car with such rally heritage and capabilities for getting groceries (or trying to navigate horribly undermaintained Canadian roads lol).

Anyway those are my thoughts but as always there's people here of different backgrounds, wants/needs and so of course we'll all have different opinions about what car is better, faster etc...the only correct answer IMHO is what best suits the owner of the car and makes them happy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I do agree with Kingsoup, most of us never track our cars and fewer of us actually mod our cars much so the street performance is for the most part what most of us will care about (and I'm included here).

I'm sure FtGF and some of the other hardcores might consider me a poser
    Haha! Both very true!