Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Celica ST205 FYI and WRX comparison

User Info Menu

You guys are missing out! You would be amazed how well they still perform compared to modern cars!
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

As much as I love st205's, the suspension scares me too much to consider buying one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    Haha! Both very true!
    lol thanks for the titles Uncle Soren

User Info Menu

The Celica costs don't make it a great prospect as a value for money sports car purchase like the WRX, why I went with the WRX! Its like buying an old Ferrari, the parts cost can really gobble you up, better to get a 300ZX etc. but you might still pine for the Ferrari.

The WRX has a long suspension stroke, great for rally, great for street performance as the dampening can be tuned to provide good bump absorption but firm handling, I totally respect that about this car. Value for money from Japan, you can hardly do better, against normal drivers, I'm sure the GC can compete with newer chassis (maybe not the computer controlled ones with Active Diffs etc but close enough)

I just wish it had a nicer interior, when I drive it hard, its great, when I drive it normally you notice the shortcomings quite a lot. I've been spoiled with great big heavy fat cars with nice interiors (Supras and 3000GT) the light doors and hatches etc on the WRX feel cheaper, even if they aren't made that way. The Celica closes with a THUNK, I like that.

Its just a little too hardcore of a compromise for me to be a great streetcar, I'm getting old maybe, thrilling when driven in Anger, painful when driven with softness. Celica I think meets what I want, but the parts and complexity like JDMvip says makes the cost/benefit ratio tip in the wrong direction.

WRX STi Ra (GC) + 3000GT interior + LS1 = perfect

User Info Menu

Put a big v6 wing on your trunk, it will close with a thunk every time haha.

User Info Menu

Interior trim is supposed to be torn out and disposed of anyway, for weight savings. The designers at Subaru were just generous enough to make the job faster in the WRX.

The turbo Celica is a novelty from an engineering standpoint, but just leafing through the repair manual is daunting..
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    As much as I love st205's, the suspension scares me too much to consider buying one.
    Maybe I exaggerated a little because this was the second ST205 that I bought that needed suspension work and I was pissed. 2 front struts and 2 fig 8 links worked out to be $700 including shipping and customs from the UK. If you try to get struts from the local dealer for any car they will charge you a minimum of 250 per (320+ for a 3000gt I was quoted a year back) and that's pretty much what I got charged including shipping and customs. I think an average GC8 owner will go through a tranny in the same time an ST205 owner will go through a major suspension service and the cost is about the same. If you do decide to get one just make sure it has been done unless it's dirt cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZenAutoworks View Post
    ... ended up buying VR4's ST205 for my winter car ... car intrigued me as it has the original factory option Recaro interior

He did an awesome job sorting out the suspension ... drives like new! Clean car and a stand up guy.

Currently trying my damndest to get the new remote start to function.
    O wow I thought they were aftermarket. If that's the case I don't think I've ever seen one come through to Canada (kijiji/beyond)

Again, glad it went to someone who knows a thing or two about them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vr4much? View Post
    Maybe I exaggerated a little because this was the second ST205 that I bought that needed suspension work and I was pissed. 2 front struts and 2 fig 8 links worked out to be $700 including shipping and customs from the UK. If you try to get struts from the local dealer for any car they will charge you a minimum of 250 per (320+ for a 3000gt I was quoted a year back) and that's pretty much what I got charged including shipping and customs. I think an average GC8 owner will go through a tranny in the same time an ST205 owner will go through a major suspension service and the cost is about the same. If you do decide to get one just make sure it has been done unless it's dirt cheap.
    I don't know any GC8 owners who have busted a tranny getting groceries. Also for any perspective GC8 owners don't be scared. The JDM 5speed at 300whp for track use has lasted many people with no problems. Launching is were people make mistakes and break it. If it does break STi 6 speed with DCCD, Brembos, and 5x114 hubs are in order!
    Last edited by FtGF; 12-22-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
    I don't know any GC8 owners who have busted a tranny getting groceries. Also for any perspective GC8 owners don't be scared. The JDM 5speed at 300whp for track use has lasted many people with no problems. Launching is were people make mistakes and break it. If it does break STi 6 speed with DCCD, Brembos, and 5x114 hubs are in order!
    Problem is they come from Japan with gear grind/nudge/notchy in certain gears which will eventually spread into other gears. Most people are unaware of friction modifiers like light weight shockproof and MT90 which may cure these conditions or it may be too late. I have 2 friends with 2 spare used trannys each. If we could do a poll for the gc8 owners that experienced gear grind or notchyness I'm willing to bet it would be ~40%.
    The GC8(can't speak for the type RA) tranny is as durable as the DSM. Vex in Calgary gets the most JDM GC8s and he doesn't have any good things to say about the tranny. If you shift at 5rpm, don't power shift and don't dump the clutch then yes you will not blow the tranny getting groceries. The 6 speed is a sweet solution, unfortunately it's not very affordable

PS I did have 2 WRXS, one came with 2nd gear grind downshifting other had a nudge powershifting into third. I was able to fix both with redline lightweight shockproof. As much as I love the GC8s the tranny is pretty trash.
    Last edited by Vr4much?; 12-23-2011 at 12:47 AM.