Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advertising Discussions

User Info Menu

ad block.. i dont see any ad's.. ever

User Info Menu

Let's see....my input...This isn't going to be nearly as thorough as Mark's reply that's for sure. The new format of the ads on the forum...I don't like. As Mark mentioned it clutters things up. I don't mind if they are on the top and bottom of the page, but when they are in the middle of the thread, that annoys me.

Paid members - IMO this is only going to work if you have some kind of benefit by being a paid member. I don't mean giving people things like stickers, I mean there has to be something on the forum that you can't have or access unless you are a paid member. On clubaristo we use this and paid members have access to image hosting, rights to post for sale adverts and access to a very valuable "How To" section. I don't think the "How To" section would work for this site though because there are a number of different vehicles.

My suggestion for this site is to pay for your for sale ads. Maybe everyone gets 2-3 free ads each year and beyond that you have to pay a fee to post a for sale ad. This way the more you advertise the more you contribute to the forum. And let's be honest, if you are selling more cars than that you are a dealer. Whether you claim to be or not the fact remains that you are going through several cars per year which is much more than the average person.

User Info Menu

I have to say that Mark is right. Let's just say that the fee for trade members is $250 per year. I can think of 4 members minimum who would have to be stupid not to continue here at that fee. There are probably more but at least 4. This would be an extra $1000 for the site.

Also, the bright side for trade members is that there would be a barrier to entry into the JDMVIP market (the $250) leading new companies to not be as likely to sign up. Whether this is good thing for the site is yet to be proven and would likely change the dynamic of the site a lot but the tradeoff seems reasonable.

Perhaps there could be two different levels of sponsorship

Trade members - Basically just like we are now with options to have signatures and list vehicles - maybe $100/year

Premium trade members - everything the trade members have plus a rotating banner spot and their own forum or other goodies. Perhaps the banner can be larger or you can add links in the signature - maybe $250/year

I also like the idea of charging per ad but these ideas wouldn't work well together.

I have another idea as well but I'm going to keep it to myself for now. I always get full of great ideas and I overwork myself... I'll leave it as a mytery until I have time to execute. haha

User Info Menu

I'll support whatever the members decide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I'll support whatever the members decide.
    Ditto. I'm happy to pay for membership as long as there is value in it. There are a number of people in the trade that show up, post everywhere, then leave after a short time.
    Honestly, there are commercial benefits to being here so I'd be happy to financially contribute.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BraveAutoInternational View Post
    This is just my 2 cents,
    Anyway, just my 2 cents.

MB..
    Actually, I have to 100% agree with Mark. Nice post.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input everybody, please keep it coming. Early next year I'll be announcing some changes and that will be the end of free advertising/promotion/sales for Vendors. Just to clarify there will not be any mandatory membership fees though.

Thanks to the Exporters/Importers who provided their feedback, especially Mark with his very well thought out feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Thanks for the input everybody, please keep it coming. Early next year I'll be announcing some changes and that will be the end of free advertising/promotion/sales for Vendors. Just to clarify there will not be any mandatory membership fees though.

Thanks to the Exporters/Importers who provided their feedback, especially Mark with his very well thought out feedback.
    No problem...

MB..

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback everyone, an announcement will be made to the relevant Vendors shortly with the details and by July 31st all Vendors who wish to promote their business need to be on a Sponsorship program.

All Vendors/Exporters please PM your e-mail address so I can forward you the details.

Vendors who don't wish to join will have all signatures, links and PM privileges and ability to post vehicles/parts/items from sale removed and will not be able to promote or solicit customers in any way (this will be strictly enforced so things are fair for those who do sponsor). Just to clarify, your existing postings will not be deleted (they will remain) but you won't be able to post new items for sale or promote your business at all. Your account and ability to post will still be active of course so you can still be a part of the community.

We will also announce a new policy for what constitutes a Vendor (eg. people who claim they aren't with a company but sell several cars or parts in large numbers/bulk). Just to be clear we're not talking about people who do the occasional part out or spring cleaning.

PS it would be appreciated if people could post all the known usernames of known Exporters/Importers on the forums in this thread and if you know an Exporter who isn't aware/hasn't posted on this thread please direct them to this post and have them contact me.

Cheers guys and thanks for everyone's feedback and support.

User Info Menu

The details have been e-mailed to all those who asked for them. If you are interested but haven't received an e-mail please PM your e-mail address.

Just a quick reminder too that the deadline is July 31st.