Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JDMVIP rookie with some SM-X questions/concerns.

User Info Menu

Default JDMVIP rookie with some SM-X questions/concerns.

Hello JDMVIP!

My name is drew, and I have owned 4 rhd vehicles in my past. 1990 Glasstop CRX, 1991 Integra Xsi, 1991 EG6 and a 1993 GSR EVO 1. I am currently tossing around the idea of acquiring #5... a 1996 Honda SM-X.

My concerns are (from previous attempts) the DOT/E rating on headlights, tail lights and proper markings on all glass (windshield, etc).

I have joined an SM-X forum from the uk, with intentions on getting an owner to inspect their lights and glass for the markings needed to pass OOP here in BC, as all attempts at spotting such markings while 'googling' pictures has left me no concrete evidence.

I guess I'm shooting in the dark here that someone might know a little more about these vehicles than my limited knowledge. I see there is a thread right below this related to the SM-X, but I would like to gather some more info.

I apologize for the long post, but look forward to any tips/info I can gather here.

Appreciate everything!
    _drew

User Info Menu

Dude i also love the SMX..

the glass im sure will be fine..

however headlights i dont think will fly.. unless you have an inspection shop that doesnt really care about DOT headlights..

let me know what you find out.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply!

Im pretty sure, recalling my terrible memory, that 3 years ago, the shop I took my EVO to didn't seem too concerned with it. I faintly remember it being quite a lax atmosphere during the inspection.

I however, don't feel like importing a car that could 'possibly' pass an OOP.

What properties of the SM-X headlight (if it is not DOT/SAE or E stamped) make it different than its 'legal' counterparts? Is it materials? What makes them different.

Frustrating....

User Info Menu

Nothing really.. all that its "required" to have is the Stamp. *DOT or SAE*

The say its an Aiming thing safety thing.. but meh..

I dont see it being a big issue.. i wouldnt be concerned..

Bring one in.. I will help you deal with the inspeciton.. i just want to see one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dah_hunter View Post
    Nothing really.. all that its "required" to have is the Stamp. *DOT or SAE*

The say its an Aiming thing safety thing.. but meh..

I dont see it being a big issue.. i wouldnt be concerned..

Bring one in.. I will help you deal with the inspeciton.. i just want to see one.
    Thank you for your offer. I don't see it as a big concern aside from the fact that if it won't pass, i have a 3,000 pound paper weight sitting in my underground haha!

There are a few aftermarket head/tail light options for the sm-x, i will send some emails and see if any of them have the proper markings.

Still awaiting 'account activation' on the UK SM-X forum. Will have a clearer idea on the subject when I receive some first hand accounts.

Also, can DOT/SAE or E be stamped on the rear of the headlight unit? Or does it need to be visible on the front of the unit?

I just want to see one too... let's hope we can recieve the proper info and get one here legally.

User Info Menu

If its on the back it should (SHOULD) be fine.. however anal inspecters want it on the glass.. cause if its not on the lense, cause if its not on the lense then how do we know if the lense is correct..

(Face palm)

User Info Menu

I've read of people swapping other cars headlights on for OOP, does this mean that you could pass even if the headlight really didn't line up? If it was close.. they'd accept it? CR-V from '97 looks ''close''.

Never seen a car with the same style of taillight though.

Damn, such a nice car, practical, stylish, unique... and we can't bring it over because of some damn stamped letters.

Unfortunate and face palming for sure!

User Info Menu

Tail lights dont need to be DOT/SAE stamped in BC..

but yes.. you can put any lights in that kinda fit.. even if they look terrible..

User Info Menu

ahhhh..

so you were correct in saying that it really isn't that big of deal.

well.. this changes things.

the real question is, fulfill the desire now and bring in a '96 model, or wait til september and bring in a '97 model. same vehicle i know, but there are way more '97s at auction.

you have an email i can chat with you about this process seeing as i cant PM at the moment?

User Info Menu

I find most tail lights are already DOT/SAE from most JDMs anyway, and yes as hunter side you can put in any other DOT lights even if they don't look right. I'm guessing as part of safety though they will be expected to be fully/properly secured though.

Just to be sure like you say, I would check the glass (maybe ask an Exporter) to make sure it's all DOT/AS marked. Another thing to remember i that some shops here don't know the rules, and think non-DOT but AS marked glass needs to be replaced to pass and will sell you expensive "compliance work" to make your vehicle pass.

I'm hoping to see these cars come in because they're kind of a blend between VAN/SUV/Kei style and I see in pics that all seats fold flat (including the front) kind of making a portable twin bed mattress.