Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forester Maintenance

User Info Menu

Hey awdftw, I think people should be running the 10W30 as Ken quotes from Subaru. You are right that Subaru doesn't recommend any of the 40 weights.

Personally I use 10W30 in my WRX all year round but if I lived in a colder climate I'd use 5W30 in the winter....but I'd definitely never play around with any 0 weight oils and never a 40 viscosity of anything unless running in extremely hot temps.

User Info Menu

Well, lots of people are having really good results (and even oil analysis) with Rotella T6, mostly in newer North American turbo subarus.

I've been using T6 5-40. I dunno why I thought it was a 0W I was using - but I have before in winter here in Alberta where it's damn cold. Used the 5W-40 in all my Subarus for years with great results as well. ('97 and a '98 Outback Sport, 03 WRX, JDM Grand Wagon and now one time in my S/tb)

I'm just thinking about using a 10-30 now since that's what it seems to recommend - at least for the summer.

User Info Menu

I've heard the same but I've also seen that Subaru doesn't recommend it so I wouldn't do it personally as I believe there must be a reason behind it.

I'd recommend 10W30 for the summer. I'm lucky enough here in Southern BC to be able to run 10W30 year round without changing it.

Can you get us a pic thread of your S/tb? I've read raving reviews from the UK about the reliability of the SF5 series.

User Info Menu

Ah I won't bother putting pics up tip I get the non ugly grille and window tint and some paint fixed. Seems pretty great so far!

User Info Menu

Hi guys, my forester engine build is complete and back on the road again, just want to check if anyone know the k&n air filter part # that fits forester sf series with ej20g engine. Also is everyone going for 5 w30? Since winter on its way and gets cold here in Edmonton, Alberta

1997 JDM Subaru Forester S/tb (engine rebuild in progress)
    1992 Skyline GTST SOLD
    1996 JDM Toyota Windom (Family Car)
    2008 Honda Civic SOLD
    1991 Skyline GTST Type M SOLD
    1993 Lancer Evolution III SOLD

Visit www.webdesignlabs.ca for Website Design & Development, website packages starting from $499 only!

User Info Menu

I just get the oem subaru ones from the dealer. Same filter as an 02 WRX.

User Info Menu

I have been using the Apexi red paper filter in my JDM Subaru's.
    Breathes well better than OEM and so far lasts well even after dusty summers on logging roads.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...i-panel-filter