Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka government tax increase from 120% to 200%t

User Info Menu

Default Sri Lanka government tax increase from 120% to 200%t

Sri Lanka government increased tax for import car from 120/129% to 200% (most common Japanese car). That can decrease Japanese car import to Sri Lanka greatly. With new regulation only less than one year old cars can be imported to country.
    However, Hybrid car had only about 10% tax increase, therefore, hybrid car import will be increased with next few months. Honda Insight and Toyota Prius are most popular hybrid in Sri Lanka, more will come road within next few months.

User Info Menu

I didn't realize the tax was that high mak. Where do the other cars from or are they imported by approved dealerships with lower rates of tax?

I hope you can setup some jdmvip meets in Sri Lanka and show us some pics of the JDM scene over there.

User Info Menu

Yes, tax is very high here, same for all cars. Cars are coming from Japan, India, Malaysia mainly.

User Info Menu

That's interesting, so there's really no local car market in Sri Lanka, it's kind of nice since you guys can choose almost any vehicle and JDMs are always better than the Export versions (or at least equivalent).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    That's interesting, so there's really no local car market in Sri Lanka, it's kind of nice since you guys can choose almost any vehicle and JDMs are always better than the Export versions (or at least equivalent).
    Yes, we can import many JDM models, however, we have few popular models in Sri Lanka.

User Info Menu

mak do you have any pics or updates for us?

User Info Menu

yes,
    I was bit busy last few months,
    In Sri Lanka, JDM market change dramatically last few month, due to high tax ordinary car import is almost zero now, but hybrid model got very popular due to low tax and tax concession permit holders import non-hybrid cars.
    So I am busy with importing mainly for tax concession permit holders and few hybrids.

Thanks jdmvip and other guys here, who help me to find japanese exporter or partner two years ago. I am doing fine and came to the forum but had less chance to post, but I will do and upload few photos soon.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about that, so hybrids are still popular but nothing else?
    Have you had good luck with your Exporter and can do you a review on them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Sorry to hear about that, so hybrids are still popular but nothing else?
    Have you had good luck with your Exporter and can do you a review on them?
    Yes, I am thinking about review, will do soon

User Info Menu