Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen O2 Sensor Part# for EJ20K Version III WRX/STi

User Info Menu

Default Oxygen O2 Sensor Part# for EJ20K Version III WRX/STi

It's only a matter of time before others want to change their oxygen sensor, so I thought I'd create a new thread because apparently the V3 oxygen sensor connection is different than the V1/V2.

I bought the NTK/NGK oxygen sensor mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.jdmvip.com/Oxygen_O2_S...Impreza-2772-t

because I was hoping/thinking it would have the same connection. Why would they change it right? Wrong. They are very close the being the same, but they aren't. Below are some pics of the connectors. In all photos the one on the left is for the V1/V2 and the right is the one that fits the V3.

And here in this pic you can see that the lead for the V3 O2 sensor is really short and it's located at the top of the down pipe. Pictured below:

What I found is that the connector is the same as the North American 1997 Impreza which is convenient. The Bosch # on the oxygen sensor that came in my car is A24-A71028 71302. The oxygen sensor that I used is NTK/NGK #24520

The lead is WAY too long, but that doesn't really matter because the connector is the same and you can just use zap straps to tie back the lead to make sure it doesn't come into contact with the down pipe or heat shield.

I highly recommend people change their O2 sensors. I don't think the one my my car had ever been changed. It's subtle, but I think the car runs smoother and I changed it to pass Aircare and it more than halved my HC and CO emissions, so the car likely gets better fuel economy now too

User Info Menu

THANK YOU!!! i was just gunna post a thread on if anyone knew what changes up for V3, i just diagnosed my buddys 2008 WRX with a stuck high O2 sensor, it was really weird cuz he wasnt getting a CEL but he was expriancing the same issues im getting, so im gunna try putting one in my car
    thanx again
    Garrett

User Info Menu

my reading comprehension is terrible... so for my 97 sti.. i get the ntk onn? like the one you linked above? thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    What I found is that the connector is the same as the North American 1997 Impreza which is convenient. The Bosch # on the oxygen sensor that came in my car is A24-A71028 71302. The oxygen sensor that I used is NTK/NGK #24520

The lead is WAY too long, but that doesn't really matter because the connector is the same and you can just use zap straps to tie back the lead to make sure it doesn't come into contact with the down pipe or heat shield.
    Simplified...

User Info Menu

Question

It's only a matter of time before others want to change their oxygen sensor, so I thought I'd create a new thread because apparently the V3 oxygen sensor connection is different than the V1/V2.
    Okay, let's take this one step further... Is the O2 sensor for the V4 EJ20K the same as what's required for the V3?

It would be great to be able to simply find a list of cross-referenced part numbers online for these cars. Anyone know of an existing list?
    Last edited by Vancouver98STi; 10-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes it should be the same but the one RyanV used here was for the Version 1-2 EJ20G WRX/STi. I am fairly certain we have the info here or it's around the web on a place like Nasioc.
    If anyone has the time to collect part numbers for popular models like V1-8 WRX/STi this would be appreciated to collect it all in a single thread and I'll make a blog post on it that centralizes all of this random info!

Cannot find it yet lots of info around the net but nothing that is correct even on NASIOC so far.

If you can figure out the Japanese issue this is the best way: https://forums.jdmvip.com/threads/17...-FAST-Info-FAQ
    Last edited by jdmvip; 10-20-2017 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Gotta be an easier way

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post

If you can figure out the Japanese issue...
    Yep... as obvious as it may be, figuring out the "Japanese issue" is by far the biggest nuisance (at least initially) of owning a JDM vehicle.

I read over the info at the various links. Damn, seems like a lot of work just to find a part number for a common maintenance item.

With the way that Google Chrome can translate an entire website, I don't understand why we can't simply go to a Japanese auto parts site and look up part numbers. Why does this need to be so difficult?

User Info Menu

Yes I have been there very frustrating I am sure the info is out there somewhere and also it is close by with Subaru FAST I even know the right .iso but can't navigate the Japanese.
    Some have used a site called opposedforces.com not sure if it is correct though.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb

In all photos the one on the left is for the V1/V2 and the right is the one that fits the V3.

And here in this pic you can see that the lead for the V3 O2 sensor is really short and it's located at the top of the down pipe.

I'm just confirming that the O2 sensor pictured above for the V3 is identical to the one required for the V4. (Same sensor, connector, wire length.) However, unless ordered from someplace such as the UK, they are unavailable here in North America. Yes, there are replacements that will work... the only drawback I'm aware of is that the wires will be a mile too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post

Is the O2 sensor for the V4 EJ20K the same as what's required for the V3?

User Info Menu

Thumbs down A "good" deal...

What I found is that the connector is the same...
    And what I've just found is that the connector can be the "same"... but they can have a different number of wires!

I ordered through eBay what was supposed to be three-wire O2 sensor, with the proper connector... but it arrives and it's a four-wire unit. The vendor refused to give the actual part number for this claimed to be NTK unit. (He said it was the same as a Denso 234-3088.) Yeah, my fault for buying it anyway... but it was a good deal.

What a freakin' nuisance. A three-wire O2 sensor grounds its signal through the base of the sensor. A four-wire O2 sensor grounds through the wiring harness. Well, the wiring harness in my Impreza won't have that grounding wire, so I'll have to screw around and run a ground from the sensor to the engine block myself.

Did I mention it was a good deal?