Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: djDEVILISHrd's 1991 TT

User Info Menu

Hmmm sorry to hear that DJ. But what I don't get is how this happened, was there any sign or evidence that your turbo was on the way out before they took it all apart?

Even if the turbo is no good, it will cost you more, but this would be the perfect opportunity to go for a bigger turbo or maybe even better twin turbo setup. You'll be making huge power then and I doubt you'd regret it.

User Info Menu

Well a couple of things,

The only evidence that I've had before that my turbos may be going was a couple of months ago I was getting a bit of smoke on boost. I did however have my fuel system flushed and then that problem never came back.

The other issue is the my 1JZGTE is the series 1. So there is potential for bad blow back which will cause the turbos to go sooner. I have the parts now to upgrade to the 2JZ PCV which reduced this risk dramatically. But damage may have already been done because the car never recieved that upgrade over its 17 year life.

So where it stands, yes it could be somthing that my Tec did when he put in all of the upgrades. At this point I'm not going to point blame when we don't know what the problem is. I had a few upgrades done at once so today he is putting the cam gears back to a stock position with no retardation on the exhaust cam. The other thing was two nights ago when we first discovered the problem, he tried another reference point for a vacuum source. WE used the source recomended by Blitz for their boost controllers. This location is the vacuum hose that goes from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. It was at this time that we got the turbo noise got very loud and we had more smoke. Now that vacuum line is NOT a good one to use because if the hose ever comes of the t-connector your engine will lean out and bye bye 1JZ.

My tec told me last night that he put the referance back to the vacuum line recomended on Soarer Central. I now don't have the really loud turbo noise or the smoke.

The other thing that makes trouble shooting tricky is that in my soarer and ALOT of other soarers, the turbos don't spool until the engine is really warmed up. I read on Soarer Central that this is normal for a stock turbo/ecu set up. So we'll see.

My tec had to get another car off the hoist yesterday so mine can go back on, they are taking it apart today to see what is happening.

I have thought about going BIG single turbo. To do this right I have spoke with other Soarer Owners and I would want to upgrade the injectors, install and AFC, dump pipes, upgraded fuel system, etc, etc. He said once you get all the parts and get them installed correctly I need to budget for at least $5000.00 and then be prepared for drivetrain issues.

All I want to do is have a bit more power then stock. This is too expensive for me to consider right now.

I've thought about the twin turbo, bolt on replacement that HKS makes, but I've been told that it is very laggy, more expensive then its worth and probably not what I want to spend cash on.

Right now, I have a line on used turbos, that weren't smoking when they were removed and the guy who's offering them to me really knows his car.

I'm not stressed anymore, just want to get it sorted out.

If it isn't the turbo, and just somthing stupid that got missed I'll have the car back tonight, if it is the turbo then I will pick up the replacements and have my car on the road Monday night.

so...

we'll see

User Info Menu

At least you've got everything figured out for the most part. I remember reading about the 1JZ having that premature turbo death if that PCV value wasn't replaced. You'd think on the Japan side it would have been a recall done on every vehicle

Who would have thought the recommendations for Blitz would have such a bad result too.

At least if it's the turbo itself like you said, you seem to know a place to get a cheap used one so you should be set either way.

I can't wait to hear and see the results still.

User Info Menu

So yes, I do need Turbos.

Thank goodness I have a line on used ones that do work.

I'd like to go big single but its not in the budget right now.

So I'm going to the soarer meet in edmonton tommorow. I'll grab the turbos, come back, have my car running on Monday. woo hoo.

right now we are just trying to find out what cause the problem

User Info Menu

At least you have it all sorted out. I guess the turbos smoking earlier this year could have been a sign.

I hope we'll have some pics and maybe video for Monday

User Info Menu

So I picked up the replacement turbos, very very little play on the shafts so I'm confident these will be good for a while. The owner said he had no smoke issues so the seals should be good.

I'll update on Monday.

I will also get prices on my exhaust system as I know of a couple of people that would like to get pipes made up for their soarers.

User Info Menu

Cool hope this solves it all. Have you been able to take a look at the old turbos yet?

User Info Menu

No we'll have a look tomorrow.

I will let you know.

User Info Menu

Good luck bro.

Hope those boost well!!!
    == Chris ==
    2007 Yamaha FZ6 (for sale)
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd
    1992 Levin GT-Apex - soon to be retired

User Info Menu

Any luck DJ? I hope you got the turbos sorted out. Hopefully you've just been away driving the Soarer day and night