Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the USA Import Scene Explode once Newer Models are available?

User Info Menu

Default Will the USA Import Scene Explode once Newer Models are available?

I wonder if the scene will explode once better cars are admissible to the USA? I'm excited and interested to see what will happen, there are a lot of determined Americans who love all kinds of JDMs and starting in 2014 the R32 Skyline will be available to them.

What do you guys predict will happen as more models open up for import to the USA?

I wonder if the oldness (25 years) will have an impact versus the Canadian 15-year rule. I also find it interesting how we encourage old cars to come over here, while many other countries require vehicles less than X years to come in (which makes sense if the US and Canada argue it's due to safety that newer vehicles should be allowed).

User Info Menu

Honestly don't think there will be many 25+ year old Vehicles left in Japan. Maybe they'll start Buying them from Canadian people.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Even though they have a 25 year rule, it is still far from easy to import a vehicle. This was taken from another thread on a Mercedes forum;

If the car was originally Canadian or imported from the US, then yes it wouldn't be too complicated to import into the US. BUT...it came from Japan, so it has no North American emissions certification AND it would need to be federalized. You would be required to solicit the help of a RI (registered importer) to import and convert the vehicle to comply with NHTSA regulations, then it would require shipping to a US Emissions center for conversion and certification(currently only one in the country).

So figure a DOT bond of 1.5 times the vehicle value must be posted, plus a CBP entry bond of 3 times the value AND the cost of conversion and cost of EPA emissions conversion. EPA conversion is roughly $7000, which is what a RI quoted me, plus shipping the vehicle (both ways) and the cost of the conversion by the RI.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s

User Info Menu

...And that is one more reason not to live in the US...

User Info Menu

R32s still seem plentiful enough. I would expect there will be some flurry on those when the Americans are finally able to buy them.

User Info Menu

I think in 2014, the people in the US would be much better off just buying Canadian JDM vehicles and bringing it across the border. The way I see it, the US is much, MUCH more strict on imported vehicles from international countries, and its clear that 2014 is going to be a hot year for JDM vehicles to come to the US, so I'm sure as the number of imported cars go up, the US is probably going to impose some sort of laws to hinder the importers from bringing cars from Japan in so that it doesn't "danger" its car industry.
    Last edited by Raja; 08-13-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    Current:
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Series II
    1996 Toyota Supra SZ

Sold:
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 5
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Series II
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T

Other Username: 5zilla

User Info Menu

Interesting posts guys, you could be very well right about cars from Canada being a better bet and easier and that's great for us JDM owners in Canada then

SilverStar, I believe all of that EPA and certification is only required for cars less than 25-years old.

I still won't be surprised though if they try to make it hard to import the 25-year old JDMs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post
    Even though they have a 25 year rule, it is still far from easy to import a vehicle. This was taken from another thread on a Mercedes forum;

If the car was originally Canadian or imported from the US, then yes it wouldn't be too complicated to import into the US. BUT...it came from Japan, so it has no North American emissions certification AND it would need to be federalized. You would be required to solicit the help of a RI (registered importer) to import and convert the vehicle to comply with NHTSA regulations, then it would require shipping to a US Emissions center for conversion and certification(currently only one in the country).

So figure a DOT bond of 1.5 times the vehicle value must be posted, plus a CBP entry bond of 3 times the value AND the cost of conversion and cost of EPA emissions conversion. EPA conversion is roughly $7000, which is what a RI quoted me, plus shipping the vehicle (both ways) and the cost of the conversion by the RI.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s
    This is not accurate for 25 year old models. Please read my how-to in general USA section. This is for non-conforming models newer than 25 years trying to be brought into conformity.

User Info Menu

+1 rpk, that's right. We should maybe make a FAQ so there's no confusion about it.

And I think the scene is starting to take off, there is a lot of interest from the USA and once someone like rpk makes a DIY like we have for Canada I think things will open up a lot more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong here...for example, I want to import a custom Chevy Astro van from Japan into the USA. The van was manufactured here but sent to sale in Japan. Everything is the same on the van except the EPA & DOT labels read in Japanese...will this need to be imported by an RI? Or simply put, how do I go about importing this van.