Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wolfd89's 93 Subaru Loyale

User Info Menu

Post wolfd89's 93 Subaru Loyale

So I went to Lumby with a friend because he’s looking for a car, and instead I came home with a Subaru. It’s not RHD , but it’s got a great on the fly 4 wheel drive system. My GF is making me sell one of my other cars, so it’s a bitter sweet moment.

Paid 1300 for it, but didn’t realize the front brakes were completely shot. I dropped the ball on that one pretty bad. So, I ordered parts, and the next day I started. I had no tools, so every time I made progress I needed to buy some other piece of equipment because nothing is ever easy on a Subaru! Sigh... It sat in the driveway for 3 days, and every day after work I tried and failed to remove the seized hex nut, bolts, and calliper. I used up a whole can of WD-40(cause they didn’t have lithium grease) and I broke my friends socket set.
    On day 3 I had the idea of using a second car jack for leverage, even in gear (5 speed) it would just turn the axle. So we c-clamped the crap out of the old rotor, and jacked up the crescent wrench because I didn’t have a hollow steel tube. I broke the jack in the process, but it worked. Swapping the actual rotor was simple, but the caliper cylinder on this car can’t be c-clamped back into place. We had to buy a metal dice with pins and turned the cylinder back on what must have been the finest thread in existence. It took a very long time, and constantly slipped out of the groves on the cylinder head. But...we did it, finished around an hour ago, and I’m very happy it’s drivable again.

Next I’ll grind away most of the surface rust on the body, then seal, prime, and paint it. I bought this rust converter from Lordco. I doubt it works, but I’m willing to try it out. Since its a beater, I think I’ll just spray bomb it black or something. I have a bush guard which I’ll attach after I tweak it a little. I might also add some floodlights. Don’t know if it’ll agree with the alternator though... any suggestions?

old rotor

back side

I didn't think this would work...

and the shiny new rotor. Everything on this car is small, and the rotors cost me about 38 bucks apiece. pads were 32 dollars total. can't complain about that. hahaha

I'll post more as I work on the car. cheers
    Last edited by wolfd89; 09-13-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    90 Accord EXL-I
    96 Legnum 25ST
    12 Outlander LS

User Info Menu

Nice car, But I got say, use some proper jack stands! those widow makers (small scissor spare tire changers) are very dangerous and topple pretty easily, Ive had one of my first cars fall off one, I was lucky I didnt get caught under it...

heres a good example of what can happen:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t16703...ray-added.html

Loyales are cool as hell, jacked up ones with offroad tires look beastly. there is a super cool one in this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiywGK7frY&feature=plcp

User Info Menu

So wait...you had two sweet RHD cars, and you bought a silly old LHD wagon?

User Info Menu

@ stuff
    That’s sobering... I actually had this one almost fall over when I put sideways pressure on the car. Luckily I had a spare jack next to it, so I repositioned it and averted a small crisis. I think I’ll pick up some heavy timber pieces to prop under the car, just in case. Thanks for the concern though

@greg
    Lol I knew this wouldn’t fly with some of you. However, as a silver lining, the money I save in insurance and parts will allow me to buy a very nice RHD sometime in the future. What do you think I can get for it?
    Last edited by wolfd89; 09-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    90 Accord EXL-I
    96 Legnum 25ST
    12 Outlander LS

User Info Menu

I'd put 3-4 fog lights right above the front bumper

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    So wait...you had two sweet RHD cars, and you bought a silly old LHD wagon?

update: instead of selling the Accord, I gifted it to my mom, and she's going to use it as a DD. hahaha I think I redeemed myself.
    90 Accord EXL-I
    96 Legnum 25ST
    12 Outlander LS

User Info Menu

Now gift me the Legnum and I'll drive it around with For Sale signs in it for you!

User Info Menu

hahaha, nice try
    90 Accord EXL-I
    96 Legnum 25ST
    12 Outlander LS

User Info Menu

Nice wagon! I've been wanting to try out a Loyale for a while now, but the right ones are never available at the right time it seems.

User Info Menu

thanks

yeah, they tend to come out of the woodwork in the fall. If you ever want to make a quick buck, buy one in summer and sell just before the first snowfall. Guaranteed money. hahaha
    90 Accord EXL-I
    96 Legnum 25ST
    12 Outlander LS