Thread: block heater

User Info Menu

Default block heater

does anyone know anyone in the calgary area that does block heaters for the ej20 engine cheap? i heard that someone by the username gtech does it?

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post anyway. I don't know about how cheap it can be, that'd be a matter of searching around for whoever would do it the cheapest.

But I know it simply involves buying a Subaru spec. block heater, draining the engine coolant, removing one of the coolant drain plugs in the block, one siting on either side of the oil pan IIRC, from the underside of the vehicle, screwing in the block heater, refilling the system with coolant and everything that goes along with that and voila!! It's done. Perhaps a universal block heater that is able to screw into the coolant port would fit as well, no idea.
    '98 USDM 2.5GT BD5 EJ25D - Subaru heaven
    '98 JDM RS-B BD5 EJ20R - Current beast

User Info Menu

I actually just picked up a block heater for my car from the stealership a couple of weeks ago for about $53. If you have one nearby they would probably have them in stock as it is a pretty generic part for many Subaru's. You could probably install it yourself as it seems that you have all the steps down pat and it is fairly simple to do. Just make sure that you have a 14mm hex socket and a breaker bar as the plugs can be a pain in the assay to take out sometimes. Also, make sure you grab a bottle of coolant conditioner as well when you pick up the heater if you are completely draining the coolant.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing N3, were you able to fit the block heater without modification and do you have the part#?
    I think different models have some differences so I'm not sure if it would work on earlier GC8's or later ones than the V3/4.

Are you saying you were able to replace the block heater without removing the whole dash?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Thanks for sharing N3, were you able to fit the block heater without modification and do you have the part#?
    I think different models have some differences so I'm not sure if it would work on earlier GC8's or later ones than the V3/4.

Are you saying you were able to replace the block heater without removing the whole dash?
    OEM part # A0910AS100. It fit straight to my bh5. I'm guessing it Should be able to fit on any ej20s, according to google. Freeze plug is facing straight down underneath the passenger side(LHS) next to the transmission, that requires a 14mm hex and a long & good breaker bar.

User Info Menu

Can confirm, EJ20 and EJ25 block heaters are the same.

Just took the Block Heater from my JDM 1994 EJ20 Legacy and put it into my wife's 98 1998 forester EJ25D.

Install is simple and it takes longer to fill/bleed the coolant than it does to install the block heater itself, as long as you have the right tools (hex bit and breaker bar).