Thread: RNN14 - Pulsar GTI-R. Worth owning/upgrading?

User Info Menu

Default RNN14 - Pulsar GTI-R. Worth owning/upgrading?

Trying to convince my friend to ditch his silly vdubs and try out a turbocharged Japanese car. He seems to like these. Anyone know anything about them? Reliability, ease of maintenance, availability of parts (yes I know it's an SR20), performance, ease of upgrading?

User Info Menu

One of my all time favourite early 90's vehicles and very underrated.

I have owned a few in my time and exported a good number to the UK back in the 90's.

They do not seem to have a big following in Canada but I would own one in a heart beat.

They are fairly easy to extract more BHP from, just remove the rear muffler and run a straight pipe for starters, they really fly then and sound like a jet engine on boost. They like to breath in air (aftermarket filter) and breath out without restriction (remove the rear muffler) and depending on your local laws, remove the cat as well.

The only downfall with them is the stock brakes are rather weak and you will get a lot of brake fade if you start pushing them. There are a few dedicated websites in the UK for them where you can read up about upgrading them.

They are becoming harder to find in good nick, black is the most common, then grey pearl with red and pearl white being the rare colours.

There were some limited rally spec models that were released but you do not really see them these days.

Finally, this was my last GTi-R that I personally owned and I ended up selling it to a customer in Canada back in 2007.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

I have had good experiences with these. Although, none imported for a while. Don't think there's many good ones left out there in Japan.

User Info Menu

I would love to have a gtir!
    2001 RSTi Project Car // 1998 Turbo GF8 Daily

User Info Menu

I just got one =]