Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: UrbKlr's 97 WRX STi Type R

User Info Menu

Default UrbKlr's 97 WRX STi Type R

Hey everyone, figured I would start this post now as I have enough posts to upload pictures now.

Skip to post 2 if you don't want to read the story

I have wanted one of these cars since I was probably 10 years old. I remember watching the coupe rally car on TV and wanted one ever since. Once I got my license my true love of cars really began. After a short fling with GM and MK1 MR2's, I decided to embrace my curiosity for Subaru. I bought a 97 Impreza Wagon as a beater and that childhood dream came crashing back.

I found a 98 2.5RS coupe(Sept 2011) for cheap and bought it to replace the wagon. 1 thing lead to the other and I sold my 89 3SGTE swapped MR2 to fund my coupe.

Exit

Enter

I built a hybrid with a EJ25D and an EJ22E then turbod it. The rust got to me and I ended up selling it in the spring. I replaced it with a 97 Impreza L Wagon

Exit

Enter(After my tremclad paint and cosmetic touch's)

I had always had my eye on an imported Type R and decided I would wait until this year to make my move and so that a whole year of them were available. I am on my second year of college for collision repair and still live with my parents. I plan to move out in the spring so now was the time where I had no major bills and was able to save vast amounts of money(for a 21 year old). I got a job for the summer at a local collision repair shop and saved as much as I could. I disregarded all fun summer activities in order to make this happen. My girlfriend was 110% supportive and made sure I didnt spend any money. I got her into World of Warcraft and our summer was set. September arrives!

User Info Menu

So I had saved up almost enough money over the long summer and got a key to the shop to work whenever I want(Which is awesome). I had got a piece of my student loan for fuel expenses so I used that to make up my short amount I was short. I don't have class/shop on Fridays, so I make enough money to pay for my travel on Fridays. I work extra hours to pay for modifications and my addiction to egg salad sandwiches.

I send my deposit to William at JDMConnection and get things going. It was about a week and a half when a car I was very interested in showed up. The initial inspection checked out for me and I gave the go ahead. I found out I won it at 11:30ish my time the next night.

The car I won is a September build 97' WRX STi Type R. The interior and month of production tell me its a Version 4, which is exciting to me because of the better rear brakes and increased torque(according to some internet sources, correct me if I am wrong). The car has high kilometers, 171K, but that doesn't really bother me if I can get 1 semi-reliable year out of the drivetrain. Have plans for next winter!

Here are the only pictures I have. I actually don't know much about the car and am kind of worried to see it to be honest.

User Info Menu

I have already started to remedy the peeling clear on the vents/scoop. I have resprayed a set of spare vents I had and have took to modifying my spare scoop. I have wanted to pick up an MRT High Rise scoop but didn't feel it was worth $250+. I decided to build mine up about a centimeter taller and make the lower part flat.

I got an ebay USDM downpipe and did some much needed porting of the bellmouth. I'll get a picture up when I finish it. I have a Blitz NUR Spec axleback leftover from my wagon, and an ebay 3" midpipe. The ebay parts will do for now, until I can pick up the pieces I want. The exhaust cleaned up:

Also got some used, but nice condition winter tires. Picked up blacked out crystal DEPOS, and orange corner lights.

That's all for now. The car is due to land on November 26th(Halifax port woes), and I am beyond excited. Going to be a long 5 weeks!

User Info Menu

Lookin good! Body looks really nice considering the mileage. Type R ftw Where did you get the orange corners? Did they come with the headlights? I've been loooon wanting a pair of them!
    97 TYPE R STI

User Info Menu

Those came with my headlights yes, but you can get them on eBay. I got a set for my last coupe. They fit pretty good but the black seal falls off quick. Best to pull it off and re glue it before it does!

User Info Menu

My aerogaurds arrived! I'll spray them when I do my scoop!

Any one with an ej20k, where on the down pipe is the O2 located? I have to weld another bung on mine and want it near the stock location!

User Info Menu

Nice looking car You don't see a lot of black ones around.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbKlr View Post
    Any one with an ej20k, where on the down pipe is the O2 located? I have to weld another bung on mine and want it near the stock location!
    Top of the downpipe near where it connects to the turbo. It's not directly on the top side though (not vertical). It's more on the left side.

User Info Menu

Got some work done on my aerogaurds. The front's are pretty busted. I got the split one repaired and am just about done the one with the hole.

I also got my custom scoop covered in some surfacer. Have some trimming to do yet but plan to paint it tomorrow if I'm not too lazy!

Got my bung welded onto my downpipe as well, but no picture haha.

User Info Menu

Painted my scoop yesturday. Clears a little dry on the bottom, and have some dust nibs. Compliments of our dirty, dark old booth lol.

User Info Menu

Oh ya them aeroguards were in pretty rough shape. I've been trying to find my stock ones I removed off my wrx which I am gonna list them.

Pretty sweet you only got to wait a few more weeks for the car to land. Looks like you've got great plans for it. Look forward to seeing it around.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!