Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100,000km Service Questions

User Info Menu

Default 100,000km Service Questions

Alright so this is related to my Mark II but I think some of the questions I have could benefit other makes as well.

So I bought the Mark II with 107,000kms and I'm not sure if the 100,000km service has been done yet. I'm leaning towards no because I changed the oil and it was veryyyy black/thick, and my maintenance/little wrench light is on.

On to my questions:
    1. How can I check to see if the service has already been done? Are there some tell tale signs somewhere that the timing belt/water pump were done?

2. Spark Plugs:- according to a guide I am reading for the JZX100 the spark plugs need to be pre-gapped to 1.1mm for stock boost, which is what I am running. What the heck does this pre-gapping mean? I changed the plugs on my old Honda before, went to the store bought new ones, put them in and off I went....but now this pre-gapping thing is a bit confusing to me. Apparently I can buy them pregapped as well so I might just do that but I would like to know what its about just for my reference. BTW the plugs are (NGK BKR6E) or (NGK BKR6EK) or (NGK BKR6EK-11) the latter ones being pregapped to 1.1mm.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by tudorH; 11-02-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Usually they put a sticker on the timing cover when they change the timing belt in Japan. Your auction sheet didn't say anything about that being done?

For plugs if you buy those ones that are specific for your car you shouldn't have to gap them. They are the twin electrode ones too. I'm gonna be buying myself a set over winter to do when I pull the car out of storage in the spring.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Stick View Post
    Usually they put a sticker on the timing cover when they change the timing belt in Japan. Your auction sheet didn't say anything about that being done?

For plugs if you buy those ones that are specific for your car you shouldn't have to gap them. They are the twin electrode ones too. I'm gonna be buying myself a set over winter to do when I pull the car out of storage in the spring.
    Nope no mention on the auction sheet about the 100k service or the timing belt. I have a friend that works at Lordco so he can get me a decent price on the parts but I will have to pay for the labour somewhere. I have no idea how to do the timing belt and I don't want to mess that up haha. Seems like its a bit more complicated than what I am currently capable of lol.

As for the plugs, yeah I will just go with the ones that are already pre-gapped so I don't have to worry about it. Damn I wonder how much labour is for changing the timing belt if I have my own parts...

User Info Menu

I always just look at the belt itself if possible. Even if it was changed previously, could have been a long time ago and dry / cracked. Peace of mind is looking at the part itself. That's what I would suggest. Also take a look at the water pump mount bolts and see if it looks like they have marks on them from going on and off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I always just look at the belt itself if possible. Even if it was changed previously, could have been a long time ago and dry / cracked. Peace of mind is looking at the part itself. That's what I would suggest. Also take a look at the water pump mount bolts and see if it looks like they have marks on them from going on and off.
    Thanks! I will take a look tomorrow since I am installing an intake . I'll take a pic too so others can see what it looks like and give me some input on how worn it is haha. Thanks again for the tips!

User Info Menu

If you have dry space, patience and time, you could try and do the timing belt yourself. I found a "How To" on soarercentral, but I didn't post it up because it was for a non-vvti. I'm sure it's similar for the vvti though. To check the belt remove the cover and if it's still the original belt, I'm sure it will have lots of cracks in it and potentially be fraying. Even if it doesn't I'd change it for peace of mind.

Lordco....no thanks. Buy OEM Toyota stuff. I can give you a contact in the US that has good prices and will ship to Canada if you don't have a US shipping address. However, I need to see your car in person first

*edit...looks like William beat me to it on the belt condition. I shouldn't have spent so much time reading through that "how to"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    If you have dry space, patience and time, you could try and do the timing belt yourself. I found a "How To" on soarercentral, but I didn't post it up because it was for a non-vvti. I'm sure it's similar for the vvti though. To check the belt remove the cover and if it's still the original belt, I'm sure it will have lots of cracks in it and potentially be fraying. Even if it doesn't I'd change it for peace of mind.

Lordco....no thanks. Buy OEM Toyota stuff. I can give you a contact in the US that has good prices and will ship to Canada if you don't have a US shipping address. However, I need to see your car in person first

*edit...looks like William beat me to it on the belt condition. I shouldn't have spent so much time reading through that "how to"
    Name the time and place and I will be there! *except for this weekend, I'm not in town haha*

I want to do it myself but i just don't trust myself with such a job haha. I've never taken anything like this on before and althought I want to learn I also don't want to screw this thing up after such a short time in my possession haha.

I agree about Lordco so I've already been looking for other options and saw that Driftmotion has Factory Toyota belts...have you used them before? If you know someone in the states that can get me a decent deal on the parts I need, I have the part numbers and everything ready . My uncle lives in WA so I could probably just ship and pick it up at his house.

Either way, I will take the cover off tonight/tomorrow morning and I'll post a pic of the belt.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Driftmotion is really good. I spoke to Aaron before I bought my turbo kit from him, and found them very easy to deal with overall. I've bought parts from them a few other times as well, but I generally go directly through my source for OEM parts just because I can get ALL of my stuff from one place then. If DM had something I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

User Info Menu

Just looking at some stuff I have to do to my Aristo, and I thought I should mention that you should also check your coolant, transmission oil and diff oil.

If the transmission oil is nice and red then it's ok. If it's brown and/or smells like burnt oil you should change it or have it changed.

User Info Menu

I'd probably change the tranny fluid anyways. I could barely shift my R154 in my Chaser before it warmed up to operating temperature. When I drained the fluid it looked and smelled fine although the new amsoil fluid made the tranny shift perfect again!
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!