Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry 3

User Info Menu

I downloaded the game a week ago, been hooked on it ever since. I play it on PC and the graphics are simply beautiful. The mission where I had to burn down the 5 marijuana fields was by far the most intense part of the game.

User Info Menu

The marley/skrillex song at that part is sick, burn dem!

User Info Menu

PC gaming Yes.. Free Downloads Yes..

no Online play with Mouthy 10 year olds.. Yes..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xanicron View Post
    You need to go kill some animals and get a bigger ammo pouch!

I find Farcry 3 to be fairly unique(having not played 1 and 2) but I see influences from a variety of other games in it, which is not a bad thing. The storyline was pretty good for a FPS imo, though I agree that the ending was not the best. I think mostly I enjoy the environment and collecting relics/notes/loot.

Borderlands 2 was also a neat game. I'd like to throw it back in and finish it one of these days, as I quite enjoyed playing the co-op.
    Farcry 2 & 3 are pretty much similar but the 2nd takes place in Africa and the scenery is all brown while 3 is on some Thailandesque set of islands where the scenery is all green. Gameplay and general design/style are pretty much identical and to be honest with you; all of the visual glitches and oddities you see in the 3rd one existed in the 2nd. Its so weird, almost as if no one tested the game before it was released.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SIRSizzlebottom View Post
    Farcry 2 & 3 are pretty much similar but the 2nd takes place in Africa and the scenery is all brown while 3 is on some Thailandesque set of islands where the scenery is all green. Gameplay and general design/style are pretty much identical and to be honest with you; all of the visual glitches and oddities you see in the 3rd one existed in the 2nd. Its so weird, almost as if no one tested the game before it was released.
    What glitches? I am on the 360 version and I don't think I've encountered many glitches in the SP. Some weird stuff in the co-op missions from time to time...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
    What glitches? I am on the 360 version and I don't think I've encountered many glitches in the SP. Some weird stuff in the co-op missions from time to time...
    I was on pc, max settings, and I'd notice things like: a river having broken lines in it (caused by colliding geometry), rivers that just stopped, rocks that were hovering above the ground, etc. I'd name more but I pretty much played the game when it came out and I wasn't very sober when I did so remembering details is pretty tough.

I agree with you guys that the game looked good, but what bothered me about it is the fact that on pc, the major difference you notice in graphical upgrades between the settings is the amount of grass that gets rendered. It's pretty annoying to think that you pay $1000 for a graphics card only to have grass shoveled into it.

User Info Menu

$1k graghics card..

do you have this one:
    GTX 690

It has glitch's like that.. what game doesn't..

it is only mere humans that made it, and that tested it. nothing is perfect..
    AHAHAHA.. why cant the world be held to a standard that is impossible to achieve..

anyways. Farcry 2 was annoying as hell, i played it for 2 hours and never looked at it again.. Farcry 3, 30 hours of my life wasted on it so far.. but each to his own..

User Info Menu

I was on pc, max settings, and I'd notice things like: a river having broken lines in it (caused by colliding geometry), rivers that just stopped, rocks that were hovering above the ground, etc. I'd name more but I pretty much played the game when it came out and I wasn't very sober when I did so remembering details is pretty tough.

I agree with you guys that the game looked good, but what bothered me about it is the fact that on pc, the major difference you notice in graphical upgrades between the settings is the amount of grass that gets rendered. It's pretty annoying to think that you pay $1000 for a graphics card only to have grass shoveled into it.
    Yeah those sound like glitches :P
    Pretty good on 360 for graphical glitches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dah_hunter View Post
    $1k graghics card..

do you have this one:
    GTX 690

It has glitch's like that.. what game doesn't..

it is only mere humans that made it, and that tested it. nothing is perfect..
    AHAHAHA.. why cant the world be held to a standard that is impossible to achieve..

anyways. Farcry 2 was annoying as hell, i played it for 2 hours and never looked at it again.. Farcry 3, 30 hours of my life wasted on it so far.. but each to his own..
    The office actually forked out money for this bad boy:
    GTX 690

It was pretty sweet and easy to install since my previous personal card was a 560 gtx. I wouldn't pay out of pocket for something like that though.

As for an impossible standard, I agree with you that maybe someone missed the grass that wasn't exactly level with the ground. That's a pretty tough thing to notice, since it was probably auto populated...but the rivers that have colliding geometry are just impossible to miss since someone had to hand place them. Which meant that after they were dropped, someone sat back in their chair and said "yup, this is the best work I could do"

I've worked in the gaming industry, and you wouldn't believe how incompetent designers are at their jobs. It is really annoying because as a programmer you put all this effort into making sure your algorithms for texturing around curves; tessellating wave patterns; and considering wind speed's effect on wave velocity, depth and consistency work perfectly. Then some asshole designer pulls shit like this just so he can call it finished, pop in a copy of another already complete game and claim he's "doing research".

I've never finished farcry 2, it was too long. That's a weird thing to say but when there is 70 hours of the same gameplay it gets boring. Drive to location while getting constantly ambushed by guys in jeeps, hop out to fix jeep with wrench, hop in and continue to location. Get to location, shoot at more guys in jeeps. Get next objective, rinse and repeat.

User Info Menu

I've never finished farcry 2, it was too long. That's a weird thing to say but when there is 70 hours of the same gameplay it gets boring. Drive to location while getting constantly ambushed by guys in jeeps, hop out to fix jeep with wrench, hop in and continue to location. Get to location, shoot at more guys in jeeps. Get next objective, rinse and repeat.
    Don't forget the constant battle with malaria! Pretty much the best gameplay feature of all time, really.

Far Cry 2 is a malaria ridden carcass compared to Far Cry 3. I had countless glitches on the 360 version of FC2 and I think 1 or 2 in FC3.
    "A boxer engine is like going to Jaime Oliver's restaurant for your lunch, and a normal engine is like going to countrywide for over-boiled vegetables." - Jeremy Clarkson