Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Evo 5..GSR or RS?

User Info Menu

Was the ayc unit itself known to be notoriously faulty or were they good if clean fluid and regular fluid changes were completed? I'm gonna be buying an evo 5 for winter debating the rs or gsr, power windows and all would be an asset. And I assume it's not to bad to pull the ayc and put an rs diff in if wanted to?
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

I am not sure how bad it is to replace, but it can be done. There is a video of it being done (by professionals) on youtube and they look proficient at it, but not sure how a local shop would make out.

I am not sure about your first question. There have been failures, obviously, to have gained this reputation, but how many failures were due to neglect, etc? Who knows.

I know mine was singing like a rabid donkey when I first got it but one fluid change and it was as good as gold for a few weeks, and I have got an odd noise or two since then but nothing serious. That said I only changed the clutch bath. I am planning on bleeding the hydraulic side this week if I get time, now that I have the software to deal with it myself.

User Info Menu

Great thread with a lot of useful info guys, I've moved it to the EVO section though.
    It sounds to me like the RS version is basically the equivalent of Type RA in Impreza.

I wish GSRs came without AYC, this is the biggest worry for me about the Mitsu's but it seems no one has had an AYC failure yet unlike what I hear from the UK (perhaps some just don't maintain their cars like our members do)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Great thread with a lot of useful info guys, I've moved it to the EVO section though.
    It sounds to me like the RS version is basically the equivalent of Type RA in Impreza.

I wish GSRs came without AYC, this is the biggest worry for me about the Mitsu's but it seems no one has had an AYC failure yet unlike what I hear from the UK (perhaps some just don't maintain their cars like our members do)?
    I wouldn't let it stop someone from buying a GSR. I love my car :P

If you're paranoid about it, change the fluid more often and IMO you'll be ok, especially if you're using it on the track regularly.

User Info Menu

Ya If I buy one I'll get all the fluids and parts serviced before it leaves Japan. Cheaper that way and they know there cars also Rygar how does you evo handle being launched? That was my main worry. Hitting decent high rpm and letting the clutch go I know subarus are great no clunking what so ever. I just don't want to have the ayc act up if I'm launching her. Not like I would all the time but every now and then it would be nice without any weird noises lol. Thanks
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

I haven't done it yet, to be honest. Just normal starts. I don't anticipate any issues though.

User Info Menu

Right on its not like I'd do it lots but I want it to handle it if I do. When you changed your ayc fluid where did you order all your fluids from and what kind?
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

AYC I got Mitsubishi ATFIII from the dealer. Transfer case and LSD I got Diaqueen LSD Gear oil, also from the dealer. I have read that substituting fluids is fine in all areas except the AYC/LSD/Transfer case. Many people have no issue substituting but why play with fire

I used Amsoil 5w30 for the engine and AMsoil Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75w90 for the tranny.

And I don't see an issue with an aggressive start every now and again - if you want to why not? Keep it within the law, of course
    I would be more worried about my clutch than my AYC.

User Info Menu

Ok thanks a lot man! Also while I'm asking you questions lol Do you know anywhere where I can find that 3 gauge pod that you see on the left side of the dash in those evo 5's I cant seem to find one anywhere but they look great in the evos. And ya clutch is always a worry when launching hard
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Hmm shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Ask some of the parts suppliers for information, like Saastrad, and check the online shops - RHDJapan (boing: http://www.rhdjapan.com/mitsubishi/l...mounting-parts, Nengun, whoever else sells Evo parts).

I am not sure if the gauge mounts are universal or model specific, but there are a few on RHDJapan as I linked above.