Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Evo 5..GSR or RS?

User Info Menu

Rygar, that's good to know and I haven't heard of any AYC failures yet by our members. In the UK it seems common but I guess they don't service as well as we do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Rygar, that's good to know and I haven't heard of any AYC failures yet by our members. In the UK it seems common but I guess they don't service as well as we do
    There is a Ralliart service interval sheet floating around that says to have the AYC fluid changed every 4500 kms. Specific to track cars, probably, but I would be interested in seeing how many of the failed AYCs have had regular service and which had been ignored.

We have the advantage of knowing they're a sensitive system and being proactive about it, so that's good.

User Info Menu

Ya I'm definitely gonna go with the evo 5 gsr. I was gonna change all the fluids anyways but now I know that the ayc is usually ok with a flush that helps my decision. Thanks for all the info rygar I know I'll be in contact again.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Picked up another bottle of ATF SPIII from the dealer this afternoon.

If I can be arsed I'm going to try to bleed it today.

Edit - I have been reading how to do this with Evoscan (post #7 is what I am going with). I had also read people can't get the pump to activate after hitting the actuator button in Evoscan without data logging.
    I just went out and connected the laptop to the car and selected the proper ECU, and was getting an error trying to connect and read the DTCs on the AYC (fyi the light is not on so no codes present). I then hit the actuator button and nothing happened. I started the data logger and the actuator buttons disappear from the screen and their menu greys out. I stopped data logging and then hit the actuator button again and could hear the pump kick in. Good to go!
    Last edited by Rygar; 08-07-2013 at 11:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Read through the link you provided, once I find my evo 5 and it arrives I'll have to get in touch with you directly lol That sounds pretty confusing to maybe just at first glance but rather talk to someone who's done it already. Let us know how it goes Rygar.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Well here is a piece of advice....watch out your battery doesn't die!

Made a huge mess, I am hoping you can tighten the bleed screws after you turn the pump off, cause the ayc reservoir doesn't hold much fluid at all! The fluid was still coming out when I turned the pump off and the hose flew off the bleed screw and ATF went everywhere, then after all that and it wasn't pumping anymore I tightened the screw, but that is how the guy did it in the link above as well.
    I will drive it to test it but it the left screw went much better than the right.
    Last edited by Rygar; 08-07-2013 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Took her for a 'spirited' test run, no donkey noises, yay!

User Info Menu

Right on man good to hear! Im excited to get one here for winter gonna be my snow beast for the season . You used evoscan correct? If o dont get all the equipment to do it im just gonna do it the other way where you jack up all four tires and start her up . Well for now you seem like the go to guy for new evo 5 owners so we'll be in touch i assume.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Mine goes to storage for the winter unless I get something better (i.e. TME) but I'm not shopping....so storage for the winter lol

If you're going to keep the car you may as well get Evoscan and the 2.0 cable. It is expensive but you'll be able to tune your ECU down the road if you want to take the time to learn, as well as read the trouble codes and deal with your AYC.

I will be around so ask away. There are much more knowledgeable people on here (they are where I learned most of what I know, afterall) so you'll be ok!

User Info Menu

Also I found getting a hose onto the bleed nipple to be a bit of a pain. There is less than an inch between the end of the bleed nipple and the cross member of the car. I found a hose flexible enough to get on but I'm not sure I could get one any snugger on it.