Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mitsubishi Evo 5..GSR or RS?

EvoIVOwner Guest

Interesting read Aaron. Glad to see you're making some good progress!

User Info Menu

No more grinding AYC on the way back yesterday, so definitely got most of the air out.
    Think I am getting donkey noise, but not sure. If I hear a definitive whine I will bleed it again.

User Info Menu

Is this "donkey" noise an indication of an issue or is it considered normal for AYC? I believe some smoke and noise is fairly normal especially during hard cornering.

User Info Menu

Haven't had any smoke.
    The noise, as far as I can tell, is indicative of needing a fluid change or having a little bit of air in the lines. There should be some schedule you are comfortable with for changing your clutch bath fluids instead of waiting to hear the whine to tell you to change it - that could be why some AYCs fail, people don't bother changing the fluid until it hee haws at them.

When I first got the car in June it was making the noise all the time, mostly on slow corners (could just be that it is easier to hear when the car isn't as noisy). I had the clutch bath fluid changed - this is drain and fill, no bleeding - and it was immediately 99% better. I got 1 or 2 more whines over the next month and a half. Then decided to change the hydraulic fluid, presumably because I'm an idiot, and you know how that went. I assume there is a bit of noise now because I still have a bit of air in the lines. I haven't heard a definitive whine to convince me yet but when I do I will bleed them again and see if there is more air to be removed. I have 2 qts of ATF fluid in my trunk, and everything that is in there is clean (I am guessing I can reuse what I drain at this point) so the only issue in doing this is the labour for a lazy man.

User Info Menu

Both are great cars.

User Info Menu

Ok I'm know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead but I wanted to add a little to the info that was given awhile back.

I'm new to the forum but I own a 1998 JDM Evo 5 RS here in Jamaica. My car came from Japan with the following GSR features upgraded:

Rear wash wiper
    Front fog lamps
    Electric windows
    Electric folding mirrors
    Central locking

Other than that it does have the short ratio box, which can be a little frustrating for highway driving (110km in 5th gear on 10psi attempting to cruise) but it's amazing for the type of driving that I love... cornering with bursts of speed.

Mine has been resprayed so it doesn't have the black mirrors or door handles but the easiest way to tell an RS different from a GSR is the black antenna that is fitted on the outside at the top of the a-pillar. GSR does not have that.

User Info Menu

^^Welcome to JDMVIP, please make a introduction and congrats on your EVO!
    @cdmtyper
    2017 Civic Type R FK8 R-01546
    1996 Honda Integra XI J Series Swap ITR Clone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dalinkwent View Post
    Ok I'm know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead but I wanted to add a little to the info that was given awhile back.

I'm new to the forum but I own a 1998 JDM Evo 5 RS here in Jamaica. My car came from Japan with the following GSR features upgraded:

Rear wash wiper
    Front fog lamps
    Electric windows
    Electric folding mirrors
    Central locking

Other than that it does have the short ratio box, which can be a little frustrating for highway driving (110km in 5th gear on 10psi attempting to cruise) but it's amazing for the type of driving that I love... cornering with bursts of speed.

Mine has been resprayed so it doesn't have the black mirrors or door handles but the easiest way to tell an RS different from a GSR is the black antenna that is fitted on the outside at the top of the a-pillar. GSR does not have that.
    It sounds to me you have a GSR with RS bits added to it.
    If you want to know for sure what you have post up a pic of the vin plate and I can show you waht to look for. There is a letter code in the vin that denotes RS or GRS. Then you'll know for sure.