Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo V info

User Info Menu

Default Evo V info

Since Evo V's are the hot thing right now..

Post any links to sites with good info here in this thread.

This site has some good info.

also post the common issues.. Parts comparability etc, etc.

Diff - the Ongoing Evo issue, Diff's on the GSR's are weak, and like to make a Singing sound when cornering. Sometime's this can be remedied by changing the Diff fluid and the AYC fluid.. other times. you need to up grade the diff..

Parts - Lots of parts are the same as the Evo 8, so thats good cause you can source those from the USA.

User Info Menu

Pretty sure a lot of parts on the Evo 4-8's are compatible, especially engine-wise. You can easily swap out a 5's engine and pop an 8 right in there. One of my friends has a 4 and put in a 6 ecu and injectors, just plug and play.

User Info Menu

If anyone is looking for wheel sizes and offset for the EVO 5, this is a great link.

EVO 5 Wheel Fitment
    Current:
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type-M Spec II
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Sold:
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
    1997 "DSM" Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 5spd

User Info Menu

I'm curious about long term reliability on these things. My WRX is nearing 300,000km and was thinking of a replacement for a dd later this year. Want to try something different you know 2.0 turbo awd Wonder if this would be a good long term car or not. Anyone have info from Aussie or British forums?
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

I second ftgf's question after see'ing dahs and mister bishi's evo's (I know misters is the IV and not V) but they are now on my radar and I am debating with myself as a future car to own within the year.

Living on vancouver island we get rain 6 months of the year here in port so AWD would be a safer way of putting the power to he ground as a daily driver.

Just scared of it's long term reliability compared to what I have my mind set on originally, assuming regular maintaince and fluid changes wouldn't be bouncing it off the rev limiter but would see redline on a very regular basis.

User Info Menu

Yeah - I have the same question. I am not very technically inclined but my dream car has always been the Evo VI. I am getting my finds together to buy one next year but I just wanna know what I am getting myself into in terms of maintenance.

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

I can chime in here having just done some maintanence.

Dia Queen for transfer case and rear diff (enough here to do both twice)

The Mitsubishi ATF I hear you can run in the AYC and is the same as the recommended Dia Queen fluid. (have yet to confirm this)

Fuel filter from 1998 Mitsubishi Mirage (usdm)

Accessory belt part number provided in picture.

I also changed my plugs but can't for the life remember what they were. NGK for sure and the same ones that came out were the same that I had. I believe they were platinum. (I can find out for sure if anyone needs)

Here is a PDF from Mitsubishi Motors with more information on fluids.
    http://www.coordsport.com/attachments/oil-evo-4-10.pdf

Few other things I know or think I know

Pads and rotors interchange from V to VIII as do clutch parts. <--Can anyone confirm this?

EVO IV and V front and rear strut bars are interchangeable even though the V is wider.

Fog light bulbs are H3's and you CAN change them without removing the bumper. (Just remove the plastic brake vent on the right side and you should be able to work from there)

My EVO V has 141,000 kms on it and compression test (leakdown pending appointment) revealed 150 150 165 and 155 from left to right looking into the hood. It is running too good imo

The 4G is a bulletproof engine as we all know and given that I think we will see more AYC and diff problems than engine and transmission problems.

Hope this helps and feel free to correct anything i have false informed on.

User Info Menu

Here's a link I just stumbled upon for aggressive wheel/tire fitment on an EVO 6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EVO 6 is virtually the same as an EVO 5? If it is then this should work for EVO 5's as well.

http://www.4gtuner.com/topic/18793-r...6-what-offset/
    Current:
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Sold:
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
    1997 "DSM" Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 5spd

User Info Menu

I can confirm evo 9 rotors and pads are the same as the evo 5. I swapped rotors with my friend , and they bolted right up

User Info Menu

5ZILLA - do you have any youtube videos off your car? Would love to see/hear that beast.

If no vids - any pics?