Thread: Skyline R33 Trunk Leak Fix

User Info Menu

Default Skyline R33 Trunk Leak Fix

Hey guys, as some of you (and I'm sure most of you R33 owners know) the Skyline R33 GTS/GT-R is known to have an annoying trunk leaking problem.

I searched and searched and found this great forum page where the guy shows how to do it. Link is here (clicky)

Also here is a link to my own video showing my procedure (clicky)

So basically the idea is to first test where the water seeps through. Get a friend, go mafia style and stuff him into the trunk with a flashlight. Or if you have no friends like me then place newspaper all around inside the trunk and see where the drops land. Mine happened to be on the sides as you can see in the pictures circled for your viewing pleasure.

Right side:

Left side:

In my case the leak is due to the factory sealant failing. It should be a thin sealing you can see going along the seam of the trunk. All you do is get a flat screwdriver, and chisel away at the old sealant. It comes off pretty easily, took me 15-20 minutes to clean it all up. I explain this better in my video.

Once taken off and cleaned off, get a autobody seam sealer/joint sealer. I bought mine from Napa Autoparts for $10. I chose the color white, but I'm going to paint over it soon anyways so it doesn't matter.

Seal it up, let it dry overnight, and it should be solid. Took mine maybe 24hrs to dry but that's because I checked 24hrs after so it might have been cured wayy before.

Here's what it looks like all sealed up:

Finally, test it out, grab a water hose, close your trunk, and reproduce the effects of BC weather

Cheers folks! Hope this points you in the right direction, I await your feedback.
    Last edited by 5ZILLA; 02-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Current:
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type-M Spec II
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Sold:
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
    1997 "DSM" Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 5spd

User Info Menu

Good work buddy.. cross fingers my R33 never leaked there.. but now because of your awesome walk through, im prepared.

:-)

User Info Menu

Here's what it looks like all painted and finished!

Current:
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Sold:
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
    1997 "DSM" Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 5spd