Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my gtr story...

User Info Menu

Default my gtr story...

well...it's basically spring...i kind of couldn't wait to get the gtr out...and since i'm doing so i thought i'd do a bit of write up...i don't see many new posts on here...

the very first rhd car i ever drove was my friend's 89 gtr. he had been talking about the r32 for years before he got one, and after learning about the car, i wanted to own one at some point. but the experience of driving one...it made me NEED to own one.
    his car was pretty nice, it had big old brembos, coilovers, was cammed and tuned, and had an ebc...i didn't know enough about cars at the time to really appreciate it...but it was amazing to drive...we went down the infamous westside road near kelowna b.c....that drive gave me butterflies every time i thought about it for months afterward...not because it was crazy or dangerous, but because the car gripped so hard, handled so well, and stopped. like...stop stopped. it was...love.

so...fast forward five years to last fall...a 92 was traded in at the dealer i work at...it wasn't quite driveable, but it ran...and i was on it like a dragon on gold.
    my inspection revealed an apex'i power fc and commander, hks intakes, turboback exh. with apex'i muffler, and an aem wideband. i'm not sure if the engine is untouched or what...
    i bought it without knowing anything about the background of the car, other than a few import papers and random things i heard. it has been crashed, most of the front end stuff has been replaced (fenders, hood, bumper etc.) but as far as i can tell there was no structural repair needed.
    the car came in with the clutch master hanging off the booster (one of the nuts had come off and when the clutch was pushed in the other stud bent under the force.) so that was the first fix i had to do. the car came with a new master so i repaired the booster and put it right.
    i did a double hot oil flush on it as the oil looked like it hadn't been changed in way too long, and took it out for a spin.
    i was dismayed to find that despite what the guy had told sales, there was no tune on it. it was rich at idle, and only got worse once under power. the air/fuel pinned itself below 10:1 and stayed there as long as you were on throttle basically. in addition to that, the timing was advanced way too far and it would knock (bad) as soon as it hit boost.

so then i learned how to use the fc commander (kind of), and had a buddy drive it while i monitored and adjusted things until i could drive it without danger of really f**king things up. it runs decent now, but i'd like to get a datalogit cable so i can do a better job.
    i noticed after i drove it for a week that it started misfiring (and idle hunting) when it was hot, so i used the fc commander to look at values. one of the mafs was cutting out, so i soldered both. i also mounted them to brackets since they had been left free floating...it's been good since.
    the rear end had a clunk, and when i looked at the lca bushings they were f**ked. i replaced them, and while doing so realized that someone had installed the incorrect urethane bushings in the car. needless to say it has the proper energy urethane ones now. i've done plugs on it too, and bled the brakes...

it still needs love. it's got some rust behind the wheels, the fan clutch seized right before i parked it in the fall, and i've got some new front tires coming for it. there are a few leaks from the transfer case, some interior issues, and a couple of other things i'd like to take care of before i consider it good.

it's been a long time coming, but i finally got one...and i really. really like this car. it's so fun...controllable...awesome. i was just coming home tonight and had some d**k tailgating me as i pulled off the highway...so i dropped a gear and drifted a thick one out, and left him so. so far behind...all with a coffee in one hand. (of course, this wasn't me, but a professional driver on a closed course.)
    that's one of the amazing things about these cars though, they just...rip...you can pull moves impossible in most cars without ever feeling out of control, increasing your pulse rate, or trying...and when you drive them hard...well...it's like music. it's like...poetry...it's like a f**king ballet, man.
    yeah...i know, i love my subaru too. but the wrx is quick, and the gtr is FAST. the wrx is nimble, light, super fun. the gtr is f**king dead serious. it's a beast, it breathes fire, roars like a monster...it's awesome...

top one is today.

Last edited by icrashlots; 03-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

awesome write-up!

car look stunning!

User Info Menu

Sweeet..

I agree with you for sure..

I have some Love for the GTR.. that just cant be Fed by any other car..

Mushroom intakes of Death.

User Info Menu

awesome write up. I love the passion!!!

User Info Menu

I love the color, and the engine bay looks super clean, intake manifold isn't all chipped up is nice bonus. Have the awesome headlights too.

Hard to see in the picture, but is that an aftermarket fuel rail? With possibly some injectors to match?

User Info Menu

Nice Story, and car. Now I have to drive my friends 91 Gtr to see what all this hype is about.

User Info Menu

nicely written. makes it feel like you're right there in the passenger seat.
    90 Accord EXL-I
    96 Legnum 25ST
    12 Outlander LS

User Info Menu

Awesome write up. Always nice to see previously mistreated cars get the love the deserve.

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies everyone, and compliments, you're all too kind. ^ ^
    i put the front tires on today, and had a look at the rear end again as i still had a bit of a clunk going on. tie rod ends are toasty, kinda feel silly i didn't notice that before...d'oh. oh well, no big deal. at least it's an easy fix...looking forward to more solidness.
    Quote Originally Posted by dah_hunter View Post
    Mushroom intakes of Death.
    yeah, the hks on the wrx lets quite a bit of superfine dust in, if i don't clean the maf once in a while it gets pretty hesitatey when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Hard to see in the picture, but is that an aftermarket fuel rail? With possibly some injectors to match?
    i think that it's just a stock rail that's been painted...the paint's peeling in a couple of places...injectors i think are stock too, they're black tops...haven't really looked into it. your gtr looks really clean, i wish i had had the $ to get into a really nice one. but, i guess this way i can really get to know the car inside and out, with everything i have to fix on it ^ ^
    i forgot to mention it's got hid's and a compustar alarm/thingy/turbo timer, which i'd like to set for longer as it's only at 1 min. so far i've only succeeded in setting the alarm off when i'm trying to set it...
    Last edited by icrashlots; 03-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.

User Info Menu

updates! yay ok so.
    i don't know where to begin...i've learned a few things about what had previously been done to my car so i guess i'll start with that stuff, i'll just list it all even though i mentioned some of it in the first post:

- 880cc (bosch, i believe) injectors (more on that later)
    - metal intake/exh. manifold gaskets.
    - hks ssqv bov's
    - deatschwerks fuel pump
    - test pipe/dp (fab'd tp, can't remember the dp brand), apex'i muffler
    - clutch (again not sure what it is, but it's stiff.)
    - apex'i power fc/commander
    - hks shrooms
    - aem wideband
    - tein coilovers
    - regamaster promada wheels (finally confirmed this after having numerous random people ask about them)
    - n1 front end (i now know the guy whose car it came from)
    - adjustable rear upper cntrl arms
    - hid's
    - some carbon bits here and there, like trunk lid spoiler (under the wing), canards, and bumper heat shield thingy around the tail pipe
    uhm that's all i can remember hehe

here's what i personally have done to it since i've owned it besides maintenance items and such (nothing against the previous owner at all, but nearly everything that had been touched on this car had been f**ked up):

- street tuned (will be getting it on a dyno soon-ish)
    - put fuel tank baffle back together (top portion was sitting in bottom of tank, not good for right hand turns)
    - tightened fuel sender ring (someone had left it barely hand-tight and it was leaking quite a lot)
    - tightened the tps because it was loose.
    - replaced rear lca bushings (had wrong ones installed prior)
    - replaced hicas ball joints
    - replaced rear sway bar links
    - painted all the wiper arms so they're not so sad
    - adjusted suspension (right side is a bit low still, but not rubbing on every corner now...and the damping is evenly adjusted side to side instead of 8+ clicks different...huh? no srsly)
    - front tires
    - bkr7's
    - 4whl alignment
    - various minor electrical fixes
    - removed center sections from the bov's so they don't whistle
    uuhm again that's all i can remember

to do list:

- coil packs (misses at idle and full throttle...coils are o.g....personally would have done this before putting GIANT injectors in it, even if it wasn't missing...but that's just me)
    - rear wheel bearing($) - left is definitely noisy over 120km/h wait i mean 100
    - 550 injectors (880's are overkill I THINK...no, i'm not going to turn the boost up and try and pull 800whp out of a stock engine w/stock turbos so...yeah)
    - take care of drive train leaks
    - care for body issues (some rust in rear qp's and underbody, as well as small dents, chips, front lip, rear bumper fade, tire rub damage etc)
    - steering wheel (original is cool, but very rough)
    - rear tires next year (trying to remember they have to last that long)
    - minor interior things

dream list - no job makes dreams even dreamier:

- 2860's
    - ebc
    i dunno...stuff. i want to bump the power up a bit but keep it reliable...

so...well that's about it...i love this car. it hasn't given me any real trouble yet, it is such a pleasure to drive...it's a lot heavier than my wrx, which means it sticks to the ground more furiously, and doesn't become strangely airborne when the pavement gets uneven. and it pulls...oh the joy of it...
    it also forces me to be social...so many people talk to me about it, from (unexpectedly) older guys to younger kids being super pumped...and if anyone's wondering...girls LOVE this car. a lot of them don't even know what it is, they just know it's f**king dead sexy. i think the only complaint i have is that it drinks 94 like it's an non-renewable resource...but, such is the price of pure, joyful, magical win.