Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys know about import rules for other countries?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markingtime View Post
    I find it interesting that most countries want imports to be fairly new and put maximum limits on age where the US and Canada require minimum ages (25 & 15 years respectively). For being a modern country I consider the US to be rather backwards in this regard.
    At one point, African countries were used a damp for scrap metals in form of cars. I remember early 90'z there was an influx of Japanese vehicle importers in a East African countries. These cars were dirty cheap and pure crappies where 6 month driving was eternal. This resulted in an influx of under Mango tree garages and insane traffic jams.
    Hence the creation of old age limits, for US and Canada, Dan_hunter nailed it.
    Current:
    1997 Nissan FairladyZ (300ZX-NA-5Speed)
    2007 Toyota 4Runner Limited (V8)
    1998 Mark II JXZ100
    Previous:
    2003 Infiniti QX4
    2003 Nissan Altima (3.5 - Manual)
    1992 Honda Accord Coupe (Manual)
    1992 Toyota Chaser - GX81
    1993 Toyota Hilux Surf - VZN
    1992 Toyota Soarer - UZZ
    1993 Mitsubishi Pajero -E-V45W

User Info Menu

Are all of these previoulsy mentioned restrictions government imposed? I believe the restrictions in the Bahamas are economic. Banks will only lend for newer cars (I'm thinking five years) and insurance companies will only give full coverage to newer cars

User Info Menu

Hey Boyblue, that's very interesting and it's great that you're from the Bahamas. I hope you'll stick around, we're also going to be looking for regional moderators FYI.

I agree based on what you said about the Bahamas that essentially they are trying to control the age and type of vehicle by economics, if you can't get a loan for it and can't insure it, no one's going to bring in lol. Feel free to make a thread about the scene in Bahamas and what kind of vehicles are most popular.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Hey Boyblue, that's very interesting and it's great that you're from the Bahamas. I hope you'll stick around, we're also going to be looking for regional moderators FYI.

I agree based on what you said about the Bahamas that essentially they are trying to control the age and type of vehicle by economics, if you can't get a loan for it and can't insure it, no one's going to bring in lol. Feel free to make a thread about the scene in Bahamas and what kind of vehicles are most popular.

Cheers
    After hanging around here for a few days and getting so much info, I called a friend that's an EVO junkie (and my JDM knowledge base) to ask him if he'd heard of this site and he hadn't. I'm sending him a link. He knows a lot.

User Info Menu

Thanks Boyblue, let your friends know we will be looking for moderators from your region too.

User Info Menu

Here in Jamaica there are probably more used JDM cars sold than brand new dealer cars; the market is huuugggeeee and you can get just about anything.
    Major restriction is on age limits but even that has a way around it if you can prove the car was manufactured in limited quantities.
    Jamaica must be the capital of rare JDMs and special variants ... STi Spec-C, RA, RA-R, S203, S204, STi Foresters, STi Legacy, Skyline R33, R34, Honda Accord Euro-Rs, Civic and Integra Type-Rs are a dime a dozen, Supras, Tommi Mak EVOs, special Nizmo edition 370Zs, I currently own 1 of about 4 Evo IX wagons, and the list goes on and on

User Info Menu

What countries are RHD and have an appetite for good used JDM vehicles?

New Zealand has heaps of good used JDM cars - Subarus, Skylines, Evos, Mazdas (and all the other stuff everyone on here likes!). Cars that have probably never been in snow or above 30degC, that have run on good fuel, and are now cheap.

NZ must have lots of boats arriving full and leaving empty, so outbound vehicle transport would surely be cheap. (Can anyone confirm this?)