Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys know about import rules for other countries?

User Info Menu

Default What do you guys know about import rules for other countries?

I know many countries require things like a JEVIC certificate to verify the mileage and also a JAII inspection to verify the car's safety and mechanical condition.

If Canada would allow ALL JDM cars into the country I would have no problem with our government requiring such certificates as it just makes good sense.

Does anyone know any specifics for other countries? I know a lot of Caribbean, African and Middle Eastern countries are huge importers of JDMs.

User Info Menu

As far as I know for Trinidad and Tobago in Caribbean (domestic):
    1) Car must not be older than 4 years ie Date of manufacture and date of landing in the port

User Info Menu

Import requirements for Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Fiji, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Malta, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, South Africa, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago, UK and USA

As a general observation, countries with a highly developed regulatory structure ("developed nations") generally rely more on compliance and inspection within their own country once the vehicle has been imported.

And conversely the "developing nations" are more inclined to require Japan based inspection.
    Last edited by Tsuchiyama; 08-18-2010 at 09:52 PM.

User Info Menu

In Sri Lanka JDM are very common, however, tax structure is complicated here,

User Info Menu

Indonesia allow to impor new jdm car

User Info Menu

Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda allows cars which are 10 years or newer to be imported.
    Current:
    1997 Nissan FairladyZ (300ZX-NA-5Speed)
    2007 Toyota 4Runner Limited (V8)
    1998 Mark II JXZ100
    Previous:
    2003 Infiniti QX4
    2003 Nissan Altima (3.5 - Manual)
    1992 Honda Accord Coupe (Manual)
    1992 Toyota Chaser - GX81
    1993 Toyota Hilux Surf - VZN
    1992 Toyota Soarer - UZZ
    1993 Mitsubishi Pajero -E-V45W

User Info Menu

Kenya does not, it is a rolling 7 year rule, duties are also very specific due to month of registration

User Info Menu

I find it interesting that most countries want imports to be fairly new and put maximum limits on age where the US and Canada require minimum ages (25 & 15 years respectively). For being a modern country I consider the US to be rather backwards in this regard.
    Mark
    94 VR4
    There's no replacement for displacement.

User Info Menu

Its all about competition. most of the country that allow newer cars in, dont produce there own cars..

the USA and Canada are Mass Auto Producers.. so having better versions of the same car that is sold at the Local Ford Dealer. or Toyota Dealer.. well that would cause sales to drop..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKSP View Post
    Kenya does not, it is a rolling 7 year rule, duties are also very specific due to month of registration
    They actually do allow older vehicles but impose old age fee per year, something like $2000 per year older than the set limit.
    Current:
    1997 Nissan FairladyZ (300ZX-NA-5Speed)
    2007 Toyota 4Runner Limited (V8)
    1998 Mark II JXZ100
    Previous:
    2003 Infiniti QX4
    2003 Nissan Altima (3.5 - Manual)
    1992 Honda Accord Coupe (Manual)
    1992 Toyota Chaser - GX81
    1993 Toyota Hilux Surf - VZN
    1992 Toyota Soarer - UZZ
    1993 Mitsubishi Pajero -E-V45W