Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Overrated music thread (or... I don't get it)

User Info Menu

Tudor, just stuff a half loaf of frenchbread in your mouth, and sing. That ought to do it!

User Info Menu

There should be rules of societal etiquette which prohibit asking people who they vote for and which music they like/dislike. Those topics never lead to anything good, and result in long-lasting blood feuds, or at least bar fight fatalities.

On that note, I subscribe to a theory that people form their music taste sentimentally, by coincidental association with events in their lives. Hence, if the cassette tape deck in your sweetheart's older sibling's car was chugging out Slipknot on the fateful night when you popped your cherry in the backseat of said vehicle, you will to the end of your life feel a warm and fuzzy sensation in your tummy whenever you hear the words "I got a fucking gun against my head, you live when I'm dead", and will likely appreciate the other classics of the genre to a puzzled bemusement of your peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    It is a Maserati Gran Turismo and it is a soft, floppy, and very enormous barge for people who can't drive.

User Info Menu

I think you are quite right Pitty, our experiences and memories get tied to different music.
    With this topic, I was hoping to gain some insight on music that I don't get. I had secretly hoped that a beatles fan, or stones fan could enlighten me. I don't know with the music that I like.. well, I certainly don't expect anyone else to! haha, but I always like to see if I can understand others, and expand my horizons.

User Info Menu

One can't explain why the Beatles are great. A more pedantic nerd would probably make a (not at all invalid) point that they're the genesis of modern rock as we know it, have inspired countless musicians, and blah blah blah, but on an individual level that doesn't mean anything. You either like it, or you don't, and if you don't like it then even the most rational argument in favour of it won't change your mind.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the Beatles, the Stones, and on some days I can almost fluently converse in nothing but Bob Dylan quotes. I also enjoy the cookie-cutter 90s grunge, although I recognize that it's by no means good music. If you ask me why I like it all, I'd have to come up with personal anecdotes akin to the one in my previous post.
    It is a Maserati Gran Turismo and it is a soft, floppy, and very enormous barge for people who can't drive.

User Info Menu

I listen to, what I imagine is, a lot of scene girl music. Or is often referred to as "Screamo"...

A Day To Remember
    Abandon All Ships
    Alesana
    Alexisonfire
    Asking Alexandria
    As I Lay Dying
    Atreyu
    Attack Attack
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Dead and Divine
    Hollywood Undead
    Memphis May Fire
    Of Mice and Men
    Pierce the Veil
    etc

Most people consider this terribly awful stuff. And for the most part, a lot of them are shitty musicians IRL. But they get a lot of listeners. Some of those even have diehard fans. Guess that means I listen to a lot of "overrated" music.

User Info Menu

^ Although A7X grew out of it, as their last three albums were as classically heavy metal as mountains of cocaine and gigantic hair. I wonder if the scene girls were disappointed.

User Info Menu

I really like As I Lay Dying & A7X as well, although the lead singer of as i lay dying just got arrested for hiring someone to kill his ex...allegedly of course lol

I'm probably gonna get shot for this but I think Nirvana is very overrated, just an opinion

User Info Menu

^Lol, not as bad as Ian Watkins of course. And I do kind of feel that same way about Nirvana. I think they have a few great songs, but there's way too much hype over Kurt Cobain. People seem to think he was some kind of genius. I reckon if he was still alive, Dave Grohl would've left, done his own thing, and overshadowed him.

Forgot to add BFMV to that list. And I suppose a lot of those bands I listed are probably somewhat talented. So maybe they aren't that overrated. That was just a late night ramble.

I really can't stand Mumford and Sons or the Black Keys. M&S's material sounds very repetitive to me and Little Black Submarine is just a Stairway to Heaven ripoff.

A couple more for the lists "They may be the founders of modern rock/metal, but I still can't stand them" and "They may have been great in the 90's or "naughties", but that doesn't mean they need to keep pumping out "new" material"

Kiss
    Guns n Roses
    ACDC (I prefer the Bon Scott years)
    The Foo Fighters (Their new material is really bland and generic sounding. I'd rather listen to a new Nickleback album than a new FF's album)
    Green Day (Same rule as Foo Fighters)
    I would add Metallica, but it's not like their post Black Album stuff gets much hype anyways
    Jack White

User Info Menu

I think most people like certain genres of music cause thats whats cool in their peer group, or when they were growing up. Everybody has a different taste in music depending on where they grew up and what they were exposed to.

I enjoy all types of music from classical to RnB, depending on my mood, hell I'll even listen to some good old fashioned Big Band tunes.
    Some days I cant stand listening to something I enjoyed the day before.
    But hey thats who I am.
    1994 JDM WRX STi(ACROPOLIS LTD EDITION)

User Info Menu

I like them all but I too would go nuts if that's all I listened to.