Thread: Soarer struts?

User Info Menu

Default Soarer struts?

Hey guys my buddie has to replace the rear struts in his Soarer as their starting to clunk was just wondering if the rear struts from a sc300 or sc400 will cross over?
    Thanks guys
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Yup. MKIV Supra, Aristo and chaser suspension is interchangeable as well. I'm not sure on the height though. I'm pretty sure with the Aristo-Supra they are interchangeable, but the Supra struts are slightly shorter than the Aristo.

User Info Menu

So American supra? Does it matter if it's the turbo or n.a.?
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Probably safest to use the struts from a sc300/400. Don't know why they wouldn't work. Didn't the soarers get some kind of electronic suspension? I'm pretty sure my buddies did.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dougjoseph View Post
    So American supra? Does it matter if it's the turbo or n.a.?
    No, it won't matter.

Check with Shawley. I believe he's parting Soren's old JZX90 Cresta.

User Info Menu

Get KYB from rock auto 100 per shipped I believe

or get hks coilovers from me, almost new but pricey

User Info Menu

I think he wants whatever's cheap his Soarer isn't the best to look at lol just a beater really. Ill run it past him though.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

Well $100 a strut is cheap.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

You need to run Supra spring along with the shocks or else it won't sit right.

Info here taken fron intellexual.net SC FAQ:

Shocks (Struts) help stiffen the strut spring assembly by reducing bounce and recoil from a compressed spring. Tokico makes a variety of gas shocks for the SC300 and SC400. KYB makes the AGX stiffness adjustable shocks for the SC300 and SC400. Bilstein makes gas shocks for the SC as well. OEM Supra shocks, also made by Tokico, work as well. OEM Supra shocks made for the Supra NA are slightly stiffer than OEM shocks made for the Supra TT. Note that the rear perch heights on both Supra NA and TT shocks are higher than the OEM Lexus SC shocks'. You are required to buy OEM or aftermarket springs designed for the JZA80/MKIV Supra when using these. OEM Lexus SC shocks, made by KYB, also function well with moderately lowered (1-1.5-inch) springs.
    If you luck out, you can find a complete low-mile shock and spring combo out of a Supra TT for ~$150 on Supraforums, Club Lexus SC Classifieds, etc. It drops the car only slightly (~1/2") over stock and is slightly firmer as well.

If you want to install new parts and keep it inexpensive, you're best off to buy a pair of SC300 rear shocks and re-use your existing springs. KYB GR-2 OEM rear replacements are $62.58 each from rock auto.

If the car is equipped with the factory TEMS option or the air suspension (V8 UZZ31 model), things are more complicated.
    Last edited by JZZ30_driver; 06-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

JZZ30, thanks for the good info about matching the Supra struts with the springs.
    I second what the others have said, to go KYB or something else aftermarket.