Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JZS161 V300 Vertex VVTi 2JZ-GTE Oil Leak

User Info Menu

Default JZS161 V300 Vertex VVTi 2JZ-GTE Oil Leak

Hi guys

I have a fairly big oil leak on my car that I haven't had chance to track down.
    It seems that oil is dripping onto the oil pan and also the front right portion of the cross member (the driver side). It's a bit embarrassing because it does leave oil when parked or when stopped and can be smelled inside and outside the cabin.

I've checked with a flashlight but can't really figure out where it's coming from, does anyone such as an Expert know typical points of oil leaks for this engine such as a hose, sensor or valve cover etc... ?

Sorry I know it isn't a lot to go on, but these forums have got me through a bunch of annoying issues such as my dying/coilpack problems which I hope is now permanently fixed.

Last edited by jdmvip; 08-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Valve cover would be my first suggestion..

2JZ leaking from there is pretty commen.

DO you have oil in the spark plug wells?

User Info Menu

Yes this valve cover gasket are same on 1JZ/2JZ. Mine on Mark II is also a little bit wet but not leaking yet, just traces of oil on the sides.

Part#:
    11213-46030
    11214-46011

I went to the local Toyota dealer and they quoted me around $25 per gasket and they didn't have them in stock etc.
    So I've ordered them from the States, was around 2.5 times cheaper: 10.99 and 12.51 and got delivered in a week by USPS (no GST or duties).
    99 TLC Prado
    07 Honda Pilot

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that the oil leaks got worse. When I had it, there were no leaks that dripped down but they did drip on the under cover.

Be careful when changing the valve cover gaskets (if you are doing it yourself) because you don't want to crush them with too much torque.

The mechanic found multiple possible leak points on the bottom of your engine but like you, he could not locate the source since they are hidden. He was using a mirror to see. If you want, I can ask him to recommend what gaskets are the most likely to need replacing given what he has seen of it.

Good luck

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the info, I did see a few drops of oil after removing the top cover and it looks like the spark plug boots have a small amount. What is the easiest/best way to confirm it is the valve cover gasket(s)?

Do the gaskets differ between VVTi and non-VVTi engines?
    How hard/long is it to replace them, is there a DIY somewhere?

Derek, there's no need to be sorry for this oil issue, you reported it when I paid for the inspection/work and it was not noted on the auction sheet.

User Info Menu

It is not hard to replace the gasket. But it is easy to break the cover if you over-torque the bolts.

According to my source you have to start torque bolts from the center to the edge, crisscross and torque spec is 5.5 Nm
    99 TLC Prado
    07 Honda Pilot

User Info Menu

I just tightened by feel the bolts on mine..

did the criss cross.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys is there a guide or general info on how to do this?
    What are the chances it is my valve cover gaskets and is there a better way to verify it is?

I hope it's not coming from the turbo area because it does seem more oil lands on that side and I've seen pics on the Supra forums, it's not fun to go in there and mess around with those hoses lol.

User Info Menu

Hey guys I added pics to the OP, there is also oil on the other side of the engine that I didn't get pics of.

Does this make it more likely that it's the valve cover gasket?
    How hard is it to change and is there a DIY with pics somewhere?

Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

I'm fairly confident it is the valve cover gaskets. I'm still looking for some pics/DIY info.
    Thanks to Megatol I've ordered the two gaskets (part numbers worked as usual).

I'm using Carson Toyota from California again: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915

1 Mechanical Catalog - 2005 - Lexus - GS300
    engine, cylinder head & valves, valve cover gasket SC300, GS300 Exhaust 3.0L
    $0.00 $13.04 1 OEM Catalog - Lexus
    Engine Engine parts Valve cover Gasket Intake side
    $0.00 $11.45