Thread: Should I buy an R34 GTR?

User Info Menu

Default Should I buy an R34 GTR?

I keep seeing these kinds of pics and it makes me wonder despite the almost "as-new" price from auction lol. Yes a 2-door doesn't fit a family life-style but perhaps a few times of year cruiser with the wife would be in order

Is it only the Z-Tune or is it Nismo versions that have more than 280PS?

User Info Menu

Bump, and in case anyone pulls up the auction sheet, no I wouldn't but this particular example (accident car). It's just that accident cars often look the best (from the pics at least lol).

User Info Menu

Honestly I was thinking about it once I had seen what 3-4 grades were going for. In the end, I decided to hold off for a few years, and buy one that's already landed from someone else.

User Info Menu

Yes you should buy one. Simple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    It's just that accident cars often look the best (from the pics at least lol).
    funny from all the cars i've brought from Japan the best and cleanest (flawless i'd say)
    vehicle had an "R" rating with a few body panels replaced
    2000 2,5RS stage rally car
    2011 Lexus CT200h - DD
    1990 GT-4 stage rally project

User Info Menu

They all unoffically have more than 280hp, that's for sure. And yes, you should buy one. Only thing to be worried about is resale. No one wants (or really has the money, and if they do, they will get their own from Japan) to drop 25-35k+ on a 15 year old rhd car.

User Info Menu

Alex, you're right sometimes R grade cars do have a better body than some 3.5-4s!

Boltobye, your argument is compelling enough since we're talking about R34 GT-R

EMAGDNIM, I'm not sure if the price will go down. These cars have always been in high demand and much higher than 32 and 33 GT-R........but I don't think anyone would complain if the prices did drop

Thanks guys, while we're at it let's start learning more about this car.

RB26DETT Differences/Improvements
    I know it has an upgraded/improved version of RB26DETT and I'm not sure specifically of what is different though.

Fancy In-Dash Computer Screen
    I know it has some computer in dash that shows you the G-Force and lots of other data (not sure if it's standard or not).

What is the real standard BHP?
    Can someone confirm what the standard real BHP is on these R34 GT-R's?
    Which are the factory ones that have more HP and how much more do they have? I'm guessing most of it comes from the tune and recall hearing of some Nismo editions that had some physical differences aside from the tune.

What is the appeal of R34 GT-R?
    It is considered by many the ultimate and most agree the looks are the best of the GT-R series and this car is almost universally known and admired around the world (even in markets that never had access).

I'd like to get a thread going with similar discussion about R34 GT-R and it's strengths, weaknesses and differences over the previous generations. Anyone feel free to beat me to it, especially those who are Skyline experts!

User Info Menu

Honestly I expected to spend about $40K for one when I was looking at various auctions. I ended up keeping my original plans to import a S15, so I'll enjoy that for a few years, and then jump in a GTR.

I don't see the price going down. For me spending that type of money, I'd like to see it in person before I buy it (so I'd prefer to buy a landed model).

User Info Menu

Honestly its all up to the buyer. Personally, I don't see myself spending $35-40k to import a BNR34 (I really wish they went for less :P), I'd much rather put that money towards something else, but that's me. If its something you've always wanted then I say its definitely something that's affordable and in the reach of most who aspire to get that "one" car they've always dreamed of. Sure with $40k you could buy a brand new 5.0L Mustang, or an NSX, or a 1999 Supra RZ with a Big Single Turbo setup, or something, but I'd be damned if anything gets as much attention as a Bayside Blue R34 GT-R with some nice 19" Work Meisters...Mmmmmm I get excited thinking about it haha

I know that the 276hp figure they advertise it is a real understatement, I believe at the crank they push around 330hp at least.
    Current:
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type-M Spec II
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Sold:
    1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
    1996 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T Type-M Spec II
    1997 "DSM" Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 5spd