Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Japanese GPS's be converted to English?

User Info Menu

Default Can the Japanese GPS's be converted to English?

I'd hate to have a car that came with a GPS/monitor installed and I couldn't use it. Seems like it would be an eye sore.

Is it possible to convert the display to English & is the technology such that it is possible to install local maps?

User Info Menu

I have never seen it..

Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dah_hunter View Post
    I have never seen it..

Good luck
    I think that useless screen would bother me too much. Or are they useless, can't they be used as a monitor?

User Info Menu

I've also never seen it, though I wonder if my Aristo's on-screen computer could be programmed with the USDM Lexus firmware.

I would say it's unlikely or difficult unless you have a very recent GPS/computer and it was available in English in other parts of the world.

User Info Menu

It would depend on if it had AUX inputs on the back ... if like most OEM stereos, the likelihood is low.

User Info Menu

I know the newer cars that have the OEM navi's either have a DVD (honda's) or SD card (Nissan's) So, I imagine if it was oem and they used the same type of navi in a USDM vehicle then it's a matter of getting the proper location disc or SD card. Thats for newer stuff tho. I'm picking up a car soon that has a navi DVD, and I plan on borrowing a Navi DVD from a older CRV to see if it loads up properly. I seriously doubt it will, and will post my results either way.

User Info Menu

most guys here in Antigua will not buy a car unless it had the Japanese gps unit which is totally useless here but its completes the cool look of the cars.

User Info Menu

lol very interesting Sly, we still haven't seen any cases of people converting them. I'd say if the unit was not sold outside Japan then the chances are almost impossible, but otherwise it may be possible if the unit supports firmware updates (and then there's the issue of how do you update and where do you get the update from).

User Info Menu

AFAIK Japanese units are designed to accept Naviken (Japan-specific format) maps and use VICS (again, Japan-specific system) for traffic information.

So it's far more than just replacing a DVD.

In terms of effort, I guess it would definitely be simpler to just buy a 2-DIN Navigation/Bluetooth/Everything unit, and forget the hassle.

User Info Menu

Not that i know of