Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Celsior UCF20 Revision (280BHP) models

User Info Menu

Default 1998 Celsior UCF20 Revision (280BHP) models

These models kind of have my interest because I didn't realize sometime in 1998 that the 1UZ-FE got an upgrade to 280BHP.

Do some of these models have luxury features like heated seats and massagers in the back seat (I heard some previous models did)?

I can't remember how much they weigh but they are heavy, I believe more than 1800kg, aside from the boxy rear end it's a bit of a put off. It also seems very hard to find well-done examples at auction. I know I need a crazy kit on a car like this to keep the ricer in me happy .

Let's keep this discussion going and learn some more.

Here's one of the slightly sporting examples I found at auction (but still no bodykit).

1998 TOYOTA CELSIOR B ERバ-ジョン UCF20
    Auction Grade:2
    Mileage:182000

User Info Menu

I really like the look of the Celsiors, but when all things are considered I think you are better off with an Aristo or JZX100 or something. Better fuel economy and bhp from the 2jz and 1jz with a lot more options for increasing power etc.

I hope this doesn't kill the conversation

User Info Menu

What you say is true and I think it just fuels the conversation .
    Though it's hard to accept when the Aristo has been having so many issues. Looks wise I kind of like Aristo better, I probably wouldn't even be thinking this way if it was running reliably lol.

With Celisor it does have the potential to be a true VIP car and has some extra luxury options. But the looks and huge weight are a giant negative I have to admit.

User Info Menu

the 1UZ is a rock solid motor..

Granted the ones i have delt with were a 1990 and a 1991. but it purrs like a kitten..

also you can put 89 in it.. so i think its actual works out to be cheaper on gas even though it might use a bit more. since 91/94 is a good 20 cents a litre more.

User Info Menu

I have a 1996 celsior ucf21 it's stock other then a loud 2.5 inch stainless straight exhaust. And on the highway I see just shy of 700km to a tank .
    As for maintenance these are bulletproof never had any problems other then typical alberta rock chips.
    DougJoseph

User Info Menu

I've recently picked up a 98 UCF20, however it's not JDM. After having owned two aristo (147) I thought I'd try the full size LS, here are my opinions..

There are a lot of things I like about the lexus, but overall I'd still be interested in getting back into an Aristo..if the opportunity ever arose. That said, 1UZ VVTi + 5sp auto makes LS more efficient than Aristo, it rides smoother, and the car generally exudes more sense of strength, and solidity than the JZS147. The way the doors/trunk/hood shut are all spot on, the interior doesn't look like much in photographs, but somehow still impresses in person with such nice materials. It doesn't excite in the same way as the aristo, but that isn't the point of the UCFxx, it's all about the uber comfort, quality, and serenity you get from cruising in one. It's a remarkable highway car.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys that's a lot of great feedback. I read the same thing over and over that Celsior is comfortable and luxurious but not very sporty due to the weight. I think it's probably a no for me mainly based on the weight.

I just wish Toyota made the 2JZ-GTE VVTi motor more reliable and less finicky lol as Aristo is almost the perfect car in many ways.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Thanks guys that's a lot of great feedback. I read the same thing over and over that Celsior is comfortable and luxurious but not very sporty due to the weight. I think it's probably a no for me mainly based on the weight.

I just wish Toyota made the 2JZ-GTE VVTi motor more reliable and less finicky lol as Aristo is almost the perfect car in many ways.
    I'm a huge fan of the 2JZ GTE, I've never had the VVTi variant, but other than leaky valve stem seals they have been rock solid reliable for me. Also, the difference in weight between the UCF20 and JZSxxx are negligible, its primarily due to the softer suspension setup that gives it a much heftier feel when driving. I think with a set of coilovers the handling would be transformed. UCF is worth checking out if you're a fan of any JZS.

User Info Menu

I think the second version of 2JZ has the issue, I had white smoke once and never had it in V1 2JZ. I believe the first version is actually stronger and more reliable.

Hmm but it is still like 1800kg, it just bugs me because even Aristo at 1680kg is still so heavy and boat like........but it may be hard to resist if I found a nicely done UCF20

User Info Menu

The luxury boat ride in the aristo seems to change completely when I go from my normal winter tires to the wider low profile summer tires.

Then when I turn off TRC, ars, and vsc it becomes better for more sporty driving.

You can probably change the ride of the UCF20 the same way.