Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Toyota Aristo 5 speed

User Info Menu

Default 1997 Toyota Aristo 5 speed

So I picked up my Aristo today, and I am pretty pumped. I feel like who ever built this car had me in mind. I have no idea why you would mix VIP parts with a 5 speed... but I am stocked that they did.

My question is or perhaps I am just looking for reassurance. My check engine light is on, my ECT power light flashes and the taillight warning light is on.

I feel like the check engine light is a bi-product of the transmission swap as is the ECT power light. Mostly something to do with the ECU.

I think the taillight thing has to do with the awful taillights that were put on the car.

I could however be real wrong.

User Info Menu

There is a diagnostics box in your engine bay (labelled) pop it open and jump E1 and TE1 to read codes,

You should sign up on the aristo club though much better info there

User Info Menu

Yeah, I posted it on there but no response as of yet.

User Info Menu

Yes there is. I responded last night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    Yes there is. I responded last night.
    I just read it, usually I get emails updating me. I will pull the codes tonight. Some of the research I came across for transmission swaps says that the light CEL stays on, depending on how it was done. I guess I will find out more tonight.

User Info Menu

That's badass! Looks awesome.

For the tail lights, I know in the JZX100's if you swap out the series 1 tail lights for the series 2 tail lights apparently a light comes on because the Series 2 uses one less bulb.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

So I checked my CEL codes last night and it came up with 42, which is the speed sensor. Apparently it's found on the transmission, so that very well could be just as I originally expected. I suppose it could very well be that my cruise doesn't work. However, nice to know it's not a major issue.

Also, Speedstick I have read comparable information to taillights on the JZS161's. Depending on what the aftermarket tails are. I know guys that run LED tails often run into issues.

User Info Menu

Amazing looking Aristo, congrats. My 97 only shows codes if I use TC and E1 for some reason, is that what you did? I'm guessing the speed sensor is either disconnected or broken/a product of the swap or something else. I'm no expert but I think there are some around who've done swaps that may have a better idea.

User Info Menu

Bump so any more pics and what are your impressions of your Aristo so far?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Bump so any more pics and what are your impressions of your Aristo so far?
    Well I'm just about the worst member of this forum. Ha, it's been a busy few months. I have been in the process of getting my life together to move out to Vancouver. I've probably only driven the car like a handful of times, but I love it. I'm currently in Sask, and the car is Vancouver.

Pictures though, I have a few.

At this point the car needs to be washed.