Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Consumption & Recycle Tax and Other Charges.

User Info Menu

I'd like to bring this thread back to the OP, and if there are any other importers that have been faced with the consumption and recycle tax charges pending refund...

User Info Menu

Hey Griffinpwr

I haven't heard anything from you since your feedback about my fraud with Pacific Coast JDM and didn't see any concern over what happened with my case. I realize you have a good relationship with the people involved and respect you were at least one of the few polite ones sent in there.

Is there a certain specific issue, case or something else that drew you back to this particular thread?

User Info Menu

I am looking to buy two new or close to new vehicles, expecting to pay around 3 million yen each so the consumption tax will be around 250k yen or ~$2500 USD. It seems that Brave would be my choice of exporter but there is no reply to emails and nobody answers the phones. The phone numbers (both are mobiles) seem to forward and the ring tone after forwarding is not "Japanese". Has Brave/Mark ceased operations? Has anyone found another company that handles sales tax the same way as Brave?

I can see from a cashflow perspective that these small companies are reluctant to have an outlay that is 2.5X what they make and have to wait for the bureaucracy cough up the money.

p.s. When I lived in Japan I paid an expat car dealer with a license to bring me to an auction. It was really a fun experience. I should point out that a car with plates will lead to the auction house charging the pro-rated annual car tax that is a function of engine displacement. E.g. I paid 30k of 45k for a 2.5 liter car in July. The car also had 18 months left on the inspection (shaken), which includes a weight tax and compulsory insurance. But the auction house does not add this to the bill. I also managed to take my car through shaken; nobody does this themselves and mechanics make about USD 500 to make minor fixes and take their customers cars through. It was a blast; it is like an automated assembly line that tests various things as the car moves along. At the end there are some guys in a pit checking underneath the car.

User Info Menu

Yes still in business and sorry but as of late I receive so many messages from new customers that I cannot always answer all new customer emails plus I seem to be getting a lot of messages from new private buyers where they are asking 50+ questions and cannot make up their mind make/model vehicle they want. I try and get to everyone’s emails but my first concern is current or returning customers before I spend time with answering new customers emails.

As for the phone number, I changed the office number to my mobile number on my website because I was not getting anything done around the yard or answering emails as someone would call asking for me every 20 minutes so I now screen the calls via my mobile and if I am free I will answer it.

Mark Bremner
    Brave Auto International - Japan Based Vehicle Exporter & Auction Agent - 20yrs Sourcing & Exporting Genuine Hi-Grade Vehicles to Customers Worldwide.

Main Website / Japanese Auction Search Website / Facebook / Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark - Brave Auto View Post
    Yes still in business and sorry but as of late I receive so many messages from new customers that I cannot always answer all new customer emails plus I seem to be getting a lot of messages from new private buyers where they are asking 50+ questions and cannot make up their mind make/model vehicle they want. I try and get to everyone’s emails but my first concern is current or returning customers before I spend time with answering new customers emails.

As for the phone number, I changed the office number to my mobile number on my website because I was not getting anything done around the yard or answering emails as someone would call asking for me every 20 minutes so I now screen the calls via my mobile and if I am free I will answer it.
    I know exactly what I want and am even open to having the cars sourced new from an official dealership or one of the Goo-net dealers. What' s important to me is that the exporter is trustworthy and that I don't wind up paying the consumption tax. Also, since the cars are going to be new or << 10k km 2016+ then I don't really need help with inspecting the car and so forth. At auction my preferred car is "S" rated.

Please send me a PM or you can find my emails in your inbox if you search for flr. Or I can call you early am or in the evening given that I am currently -13 hours from Japan if you tell me a good time.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forums flrjdm! Most reputable Exporters in Japan will not charge these taxes but if in doubt you should ask them for a sample invoice and outright ask them. The most preferred way in Japan for me at least is to basically deal with flat rates for shipping, commission and inland transport so you don't have to worry much.

I'm not trying to speak for Mark but I'm fairly certain he doesn't/won't source vehicles from local dealers (I personally would avoid this too!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Welcome to the forums flrjdm! Most reputable Exporters in Japan will not charge these taxes but if in doubt you should ask them for a sample invoice and outright ask them. The most preferred way in Japan for me at least is to basically deal with flat rates for shipping, commission and inland transport so you don't have to worry much.

I'm not trying to speak for Mark but I'm fairly certain he doesn't/won't source vehicles from local dealers (I personally would avoid this too!).
    Thanks. Well, TS Export seems reputable and has responded on this thread. He charges the customer all auction fees. Many exporters charge a premium for cars above 1 million yen. Autorec charges 8%, so they effectively charge the consumption tax as their fee for expensive cars. Some don't disclose the additional fees for > 1 million yen until you contact them. I am not sure if Mark (Brave) charges extra for high value cars; according to his site it is a flat 100k yen. I wish that he would hire staff to help him if he is in such high demand.

The best that I have found is Nikkyo, which might be the largest exporter. They charge 100k if you send the car straight to the port and 130k if you send it to their yard for inspection. For < 1.5 million yen cars it is 70k/100k. And they don't pocket the refundable taxes and fees. You have to register to obtain all the details. I also saw screen shots of their auction interface; it shows you the total CIF costs on top of your bid. So it is very transparent.

Are there other big boys like Nikkyo that I should consider? Autorec is clearly no good in terms of fees.

I should point out that if you buy a car that is registered at auction (I have seen brand new cars with plates) then you have to pay the pro-rated annual car tax (engine size based). So if you buy a 2.5 liter car in April then the auction charges a refundable 45k yen. So you are looking at auction costs of ~12k (+tax; auction fee) + 15k (recycling) + 45k (annual road tax) + 240k (8% on 3 million yen car). So that amounts to ~313k yen on a 3 million yen car. The only fee that the exporter does not recover is the auction fee.

Another thing to think about is that if you are bidding on a car with plates is that there is value there in the domestic market. If the car has shaken (inspection) for 2 years that is about 50k in weight tax and compulsory insurance for a mid-size. I think the exporter can get some of this back as well but it's fair enough not to refund it to the customer since the auction does not charge for it separately like the road tax.

Finally, I learned that it is impossible for an exporter to buy a car from an official dealer; probably manufacturers prohibit this. But the used car dealers sometimes have new or close to new cars and one car model that I am interested in only has 2016 or older at auction. I have heard that some may sell to an exporter. They can't pocket the ridiculous add on fees that they charge a retail customer. When I lived in Japan I remember getting a quote with 250k of fees for a car already with plates, including 30k for floor mats. You see the second price on Goo-net (Japanese version) with all the added fees, typically 200k yen. Part of this is shaken; they still collect even if the car is already on plates. What happens in Japan if you buy a car with plates and they are in the same motor vehicle registration sector then you just keep them; otherwise you have to go and swap them for a small fee and the inspection, weight tax and insurance carries over. Obviously the used car dealer would do this (for a fee).