Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build Date

User Info Menu

Very interesting, I assume that you get this proof for your customers if the vehicle was registered after the build month?

I just remembered that with my Impreza I imported it in May but the car was first registered in June. I had my Exporter at the time add it to the BOL "Manufactured in May 1993" and CBSA accepted that fortunately.

User Info Menu

Canada customs does have access to manufacturing dates. For example, they easily determine the month of manufacture of Honda bikes, which is not the easiest thing to do.

They certainly go by frame number and manufacturing date, not by first registration. I don't think you need to worry about the letter or such unless customs raises a flag.

Regarding manufacture vs first registration, I once purchased a showroom Nissan Cefiro that was manufactured in late 1995 but was first registered in 1997, so that does happen in Japan, although not very often.

User Info Menu

So customs doesn't take our paperwork as gospel but instead has access to the manufacturers data?

User Info Menu

Correct, the customs could care less about the paperwork.
    They go by their own sources.

If there's a discrepancy between the paperwork and their sources, and you insist on your paperwork, you will be asked to prove your point by providing a manufacturer's evidence or such.

Otherwise it will be the date the customs have.

User Info Menu

anyone that lives in a border town and does a lot of shoping in the USA knows that arguing with customs doesn't do anything but make your days worse..

best to just give them the required paperwork, and agree to what they want

User Info Menu

Heh, to be on the safe side does anyone know if JDM BMWs have the build date on the VIN sticker?

The online parts lookup is showing me a build of Mar/99. Japan reg is May/99.

Trying to decide if I should take the gamble or not.

User Info Menu

Customs goes by manufacture date.

Not by first registration date.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    Heh, to be on the safe side does anyone know if JDM BMWs have the build date on the VIN sticker?

The online parts lookup is showing me a build of Mar/99. Japan reg is May/99.

Trying to decide if I should take the gamble or not.
    It is not a gamble if you do it right.

Email me the vin number and I will email you what you need to get it through customs based upon the build date.

If the BMW is an Alpina model (Alpina use their own vin numbers) then it will be a bit tricky and may need to import via date of first reg.

BMW do not have a build date on the vin sticker/plate.

But, if you want to know then here is a trick for you and others - open the tool box lid which is mounted under the boot lid. In side the tool box lid there is the build date of the vehicle, it is a bunch of numbers in a circle. Decoding it can be a little tricky but once you have done one..... fairly simple from then on. You cannot use this to prove to customs the build date though because it does not show the vin. So in other words, if you supplied a photo of it.......could be from any BMW so it is only good for showing people in real life the build date of that vehicle.

But any way, as mentioned, email me the vin and I will supply you what you need to get it through customs.

mark@braveautointernational.jp

Cheers

MB.

User Info Menu

Customs do go via manufacture date but you as the importer of the vehicle have to prove it to them.

This is why the first thing you use is the Jap d-reg doc, if the vehicle is older than date of first reg in Japan then you have to prove to customs it is which is fairly simple to do and never been a problem for me.

Cheers

MB.

User Info Menu

If you go to a BMW dealership they should be able to give you a printout as well. I've done it before where I've gone in and provided the VIN and they give you a printout of all the options the car got plus it has the build date as well.