Thread: Nissan 'Datsun' truck

User Info Menu

Default Nissan 'Datsun' truck

Hello all! The Nissan Datsun truck (essentially a Nissan Frontier), namely the D22 (but also the D21) has really been catching my eye lately as I've been more and more interested in the idea of getting a go-anywhere type of vehicle, without sacrificing too much fuel economy like some of the big USDM V8 or V6 trucks here. I keep seeing them pop up on JDM importer listings, and the thought of a mid-size, 4-door, JDM styled truck just makes me daydream... I kind of want one! I know Nissan makes solid vehicles, and from what I understand their diesels are also supposed to be quite trusty... Would anyone have any experience or knowledge on these trucks that are essentially USDM Nissan Frontiers, such as parts availability (brakes, suspension, body panels and the like must surely be quite the same as the USDM Frontiers), the availability of parts for the 3.2L diesel engine itself? I know the 2.4L gas engine seems to be more or less the same as the USDM models so that'd be much less of a headache. My thing is, with my JDM Sube, I can walk into any auto parts store and get pretty much any of the usual maintenance parts such as air filters, spark plugs, suspension components, brake components right over the counter without having to place an order and waiting weeks until the parts arrive by boat or air from Japan. A turbo or something, that's different. But can the same be said for any of these JDM trucks as far as ease of maintenance goes? What's the gas 4-cylinder engine like? Calling all JDM 4x4 gurus.
    '98 USDM 2.5GT BD5 EJ25D - Subaru heaven
    '98 JDM RS-B BD5 EJ20R - Current beast

User Info Menu

Do you mean like this?
    1998 NISSAN DATSUN スカイスター 4WD LFMD22
    Auction Grade:3.5
    Mileage:136000

It seems there are a few ending in D22 chassis#s for this truck?

LFMD22

LRMD22

LFD22

LRMD22カイ
    PD22

User Info Menu

These trucks look pretty cool actually.

User Info Menu

Yeah these trucks look awesome! Personally, not as much of a fan of the body kits, especially on a truck but the beauty is that essentially they are USDM Nissan Frontiers! Imagine the availability (for the most part) for parts and maintenance items! Suspension, brakes, body panels, interior, lighting, drivetrain... I'm sure they're pretty darn close to the USDM versions! I'm a big stickler for that when it comes to JDM vehicles - availability of parts in NA without having to wait for items to ship from overseas. (Subies are nice for that I find, although perhaps mix n match at times ) I personally don't have the means (or need, really) to own a second vehicle. My ride is my daily. So if she's down, waiting on parts, I'm fooked.

That's why I was wondering about the 3.2L diesel! When it comes down to it, if your engine isn't running, your car isn't running. What's the availability of engine/transmission related components for these 3.2L diesels? Perhaps anyone with a Safari/Hilux/Pajero might be able to chime in on their experience? I ran into a guy once that had owned Pajeros for the last 8 years, a few of them. He loved them and if he had owned 3 of them, it mustn't have been that big of a hassle to find parts... just forgot to ask him about that!

I know that they made the 2.4L engines here, so those would for sure be easy to repair and find parts for, as far as I can guess. But me personally, I'm a practicality kind of guy, and 4 doors is my thing (unless it's for fun). I'm sorry but a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine on a 4-door truck this size just seems too small, doesn't it? Sure it'd be great for bombing in the city, but, try driving to the coast through the mountains... you'd be bagging it trying to keep at 100 climbing the mountains, no? I know the diesel engine has the same amount of hp as the 2.4 pretty much, but something like 70, 80 lb.ft of torque more? And likely some good fuel economy?

I love the look of these though. Perdier than the Hilux IMO.

User Info Menu

2.4L gas engine
    3.2L diesel engine