Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 88 vert fc 13b-rew build thread

User Info Menu

Default 88 vert fc 13b-rew build thread

Hey guys I'm just starting a build thread. I'm doing a jdm engine swap into a Lhd convertible rx7. I had a 13b rew from my fd left over so I'm going to drop it into a fc body. So far I've stripped the old engine out of the body and I'm waiting for a weekend off work so I can get the motor mount plates welded in. Ill take pictures in the next few days and put them up. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to throw them up.
    -Steve
    Last edited by steveo1115; 09-28-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Auto-correct fail

User Info Menu

Are you going to modify the engine or just doing a swap? Let's see some pics!
    Are there any differences between the JDM and USDM 13B engines?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It looks like you're all ready to swap in the new engine and transmission. When do you think it will be done?

User Info Menu

The engine is basically ready to drop in I just need the sub frame modified but my friend that was going to do it for me hurt himself and is off work for a few weeks. I'm going to rebuild the engine just to make sure it's strong. The jdm rx7 engines are the same as the North American engines but I'm swapping in the engine from the newer generation it has a lot of improvements over the older engine.

User Info Menu

Does the FD gearbox fit in the FC tunnel? And fit straight up to the driveshaft etc? The REW motor is much nicer, what are your plans for the twin turbo setup - keep or go single?

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the interest in my project. To answer your questions the fd gearbox will fit into the transmission tunnel but it's slightly longer than the fc transmission, so the gear shift doesn't fit into the stock position and also it needs a custom driveshaft. As far as the turbo I bought a gtp38 for really cheap but I'm not sure if I actually want to use it. The spool would be ok but it's a hard turbo to get the oil feed and return set up. Anyways this project has been put on the back burner as my old daily driver blew a piston ring. So all the cash I had saved up to fix this as well as refresh the old dailys engine (got to this a little late) went to my new aristo.

User Info Menu

Let's see some more pics, do you mean your Aristo blew a piston ring (not sure what your old daily was?).

User Info Menu

Ill try to remember to post some more pictures when i get home from work. I haven't done much to this in the last bit besides collect parts.
    also my old daily driver was a 90 eagle talon tsi awd but i bought it with pretty low compression in cylinder #2 (didn't know it when I bought it). so the engine blew before I could get the piston ring replaced and it was just not worth the money to rebuild the engine. So I bought ryanV's aristo and I'm loving it, besides a little hiccup when i first bought it.

User Info Menu

I've been really bad about keepin this updated. I've been working away on the nights and weekends on this project slowly. The engine is ready to drop in any time but I decided to paint the engine bay and get rid of some surface rust that formed from a power steering leak.
    As far as making the motor mounts it was a lot easier than I though it would be I was really lucky I bought a convertible as it already has a boxed subframe like the fd. This is a swap that hasn't been done that often and there isn't really much information out there on how to do it. Luckily I have a power fc so wiring shouldn't be that much of a issue.